Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RKM
Helper IV
Helper IV

Cascading to a Table Visual From a Hyperlink in Matrix Visual

(Please and please read the description before simply marking some reply as 'answered' (despite it is really not an answer), as I am recently seeing this too often here in PBI forum. Kindly don't do that and allow more people to respond. I PROMISE - if some answer is really resolving the question, I'll mark it answer... I promise!!! )

So, I need some help from the experts. I already have a PBI dashboard where I have a Matrix like below... Here we are seeing Quarterly Possessions For each delaer at Product Level detail. This is very very simple....

RKM_0-1669704729413.png

Now the Need is that the Name column above - should have a Hyperlink for each of the records and on-click of that HyperLink, we want to see More details about that ProductName.... i.e. One Cascading Parameter Report Visual Kind of (If nothing is clicked then show nothing). 

The real twist is that this Detail of Each Product Name level, is coming from a Stored Procedure...

i.e When you click 'BK1' then that will be the parameter of SP   { Exec dbo.utvf_GetSpecificProductAttributes @ProductName}

~ Also note that, this SP will return different number and list of Columns depending on which Product Name we are passing. For example, for BK1 - it is returning 6 columns where as for Car1 it is returning 8 columns. Also note the differences of returned column names.

RKM_1-1669705160467.png

My Question is: 

(a) This kind of Cascading report - is it possible in Power BI on same dashboard Or

(b) Should it be like, the first matrix will remain in Power BI and upon clicking the Product Name link - it should call a SSRS or paginated report with Param etc,?

Are there any sample PBI you can redirect me to please, where we are calling SP based on Hyperlink and passing param and SP returning dynamic number of columns.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RKM ,

When to use the paginated reports, the Interactivity features: Interactive features include toggling visibility (to drill down and drill up), links, interactive sorting, and tooltips. You can also add links that drillthrough to Power BI reports, or other Power BI paginated reports. Links can even jump to another location within the same report.

You can pin the visual to the dashboard.

SSRS is a tool to build the paginated report and the parameter with the Power BI Report Server. You should call paginated report.

For more information, you can refer these documentations below:

When to use paginated reports in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Pin paginated report items to Power BI dashboards - Reporting Services - SQL Server Reporting Servic...

Hope these help you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RKM ,

When to use the paginated reports, the Interactivity features: Interactive features include toggling visibility (to drill down and drill up), links, interactive sorting, and tooltips. You can also add links that drillthrough to Power BI reports, or other Power BI paginated reports. Links can even jump to another location within the same report.

You can pin the visual to the dashboard.

SSRS is a tool to build the paginated report and the parameter with the Power BI Report Server. You should call paginated report.

For more information, you can refer these documentations below:

When to use paginated reports in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Pin paginated report items to Power BI dashboards - Reporting Services - SQL Server Reporting Servic...

Hope these help you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Indeed very very helpful. Specially links that you shared. Thank you for your time and effort, really appreciate that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.