Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

naledi_h
Helper I
Helper I

Card value not passing through to tooltip

I'm using the new card template (and a stacked bar chart). In the tooltip I want to show the value for the card over all the available years. The card is filtered by:
  • Location  (slicer)
  • Year (slicer)
  • CDO (filter pane)
The year should not be passed into the tooltip but the other two columns should. I have added a hidden, synced slicer to the tooltip to pass the location in, this seems to work fine. But I cannot get the CDO to get passed through.

On the tooltip I have disabled "keep all filters" and added only the CDO field (from the same table). 

Any advice?

naledi_h_4-1694692002694.pngnaledi_h_5-1694692012877.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
naledi_h
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

I found a solution.

1. I use a year lookup table for the slicer (year1) 

2. The corresponding year column in the data table on the chart (year2)

3. Write a calculation that excludes year1 but keeps year2 and use it on the line chart

4. Turn on keep all filters, this passes in all filters from the card. The calculation then excludes the year1 filter so that the tooltip can show all years via year2. 

My understanding is that when you pass in all filters this includes any slicers, anything that splits the chart (e.g. legend or categorical axes) and anything on the filter pane. But when you try to recreate that by manually adding columns on the tooltip rather than applying all filters, you cannot pass in anything that is on the filter pane. It needs to be included as something that splits the chart which isn't possible on the card as everything is aggregated. 

Link to sample workbook https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GfxqDbdaGYwAlKZB3jdP8vNnoY4fMlQV/view?usp=sharing 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
naledi_h
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

I found a solution.

1. I use a year lookup table for the slicer (year1) 

2. The corresponding year column in the data table on the chart (year2)

3. Write a calculation that excludes year1 but keeps year2 and use it on the line chart

4. Turn on keep all filters, this passes in all filters from the card. The calculation then excludes the year1 filter so that the tooltip can show all years via year2. 

My understanding is that when you pass in all filters this includes any slicers, anything that splits the chart (e.g. legend or categorical axes) and anything on the filter pane. But when you try to recreate that by manually adding columns on the tooltip rather than applying all filters, you cannot pass in anything that is on the filter pane. It needs to be included as something that splits the chart which isn't possible on the card as everything is aggregated. 

Link to sample workbook https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GfxqDbdaGYwAlKZB3jdP8vNnoY4fMlQV/view?usp=sharing 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data (with sensitive information removed) that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot). Leave out anything not related to the issue.
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.