Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AMS77
Frequent Visitor

Can't get time intelligence quick measure to work

Hi, I would appreciate some help on time intelligence quick measure. I don't seem to get them to work.

I have created my own date table and marked it as date table.

There is a revenues table (revenues are in the "baten" field in that table) and a clients table (linked via customer cluster number to the revenues table).

On the first image below ; the clients field from the clients table is on the axis; revenues as value ; and filtered via the date table to show only last 4 months seems to work fine.

Capture3.JPG

Now when I try to use a quick measure as values field to show quarter to date income the visual turns up empty. The clients are again on the axis (but not shown for some reason); nor any values are visible.

Baten QTD = 
TOTALQTD(SUM('Revenues'[Baten]), 'Date'[Date])

Capture4.JPG

Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In the first chart, there was no Organization filter visible in the picture shared. I hope we are comparting apple with apple.

Second please check dates are continuous. In case dates are not continuous time-intelligence function might not work well.

Third plot the first graph on the same date range as the second one and check if there is some data. That has been plotted for 4 months.

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

Hi @amitchandak 

Thanks for your quick reply and efforts to help.

#1 The organizational filter is indeed applied on both.

#2 The date table is continuous; the individual entries in the revenues table are not; there are only entries per every 1st day of the month. So entries would be like 01-12-2019 in the date field in the revenues table.

#3 There is data; I also tried using YTD in the time intelligence instead of QTD but that turns up with blank results as well

Baten YTD = 
TOTALYTD(SUM('Revenues'[Baten]), 'Date'[Date])

TOTALYTD and TOTALQTD might end up taking the current month or end of the calendar date. Just make sure that you have some date filter to tell where to end. You might need to have a date slicer or filter.

@amitchandak 

Now I am totally lost 🙂 😞 By adding a date filter I got it to work. But... I don't understand the logic at all.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that totatqtd or totalytd might take the current month. Isn't it supposed to take the current date always?? (and from there you manipulate by for instance substracting 1 month in the formula).

Also what does the date filter in below visual exactly do ? It has no direct impact on the result since both 30 and 100 days (see images) give the same result (which is actually the correct YTD numbers). Thanks again for your help !!!!! Very usefull

ytd2.JPGytd1.JPG

AMS77
Frequent Visitor

Just to add; the date table is defined as follows:

Date = 
ADDCOLUMNS (
CALENDAR (DATE(2000,1,1), DATE(2025,12,31)),
"Year", YEAR ( [Date] ),
"Monthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "MM" ),
"YearMonthnumber", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/MM" ),
"YearMonthShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY/mmm" ),
"MonthNameShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmm" ),
"MonthNameLong", FORMAT ( [Date], "mmmm" ),
"DayOfWeekNumber", WEEKDAY ( [Date] ),
"DayOfWeek", FORMAT ( [Date], "dddd" ),
"DayOfWeekShort", FORMAT ( [Date], "ddd" ),
"Quarter", "Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" ),
"YearQuarter", FORMAT ( [Date], "YYYY" ) & "/Q" & FORMAT ( [Date], "Q" ))

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.