Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Can't find grouping function

Hi,

I want to group together categories into custom categories, as is shown in this link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-and-binning). But when I right-click on the visual, I'm unable to find this option.

I should also note that my data is connected via PowerBI datasets through an Alteryx connection. Could this be the reason why?

No Grouping.JPG

Thanks,

afk

2 REPLIES 2
jsh121988
Employee
Employee

You create the grouping using a calculated column in the field list under the table, not the visual itself. You then set the axis to this new calculated column.

MyGroup = // This is exactly what the grouping function does, but this gives you more control over logic
SWITCH( TRUE(),
    [Col1] = "This" && [Col2] = "That", "ThisThat", // && is AND
    [Col1] = "That" || [Col2] = "This", "ThatThis", // || is OR
    "SomethingElse" // This is the value if no other conditions is met
)

Thanks for your suggestion @jsh121988.

But I can't create calculated columns either, I can only create measures. Again, I think this may be due to the fact that the data is coming from a PowerBI dataset.

Selections.JPG

Will this work for measures as well?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.