Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rhenretta

Can't connect to gateway from Desktop

I have a SQL Server in our production environment I want to connect to.  I installed Enterprise Gateway on the DB server, and added the datasource in Power BI (manage gateways).  When I test the config, I can see a login/logout event in profiler.

I can't connect to the data source in desktop.  I go to Get Data -> SQL Server.  Then I enter the same server name and database I set in the gateway.  I use DirectQuery and hit ok.  It sits for a while, but errors out with a network / instance related issue.  Nothing shows up in profiler.  

Am I missing something obvious?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't think you actually connect to the gateway from Power BI Desktop.  The normal process is the Gateway is only used for the Power BI Service.  You normally connect to the server via Power BI Destkop internal to the network that has your Server.  When you publish the workbook to the service, the service then uses the gateway to access the data (rather than an internal direct connection like used in Power BI Desktop).

Assuming your issue is you can't connect with Power BI Desktop to the server,   I suggest first check you can connect to the server via SSMS or similar (you could also just use Excel).  If that works, then it is most likely incorrect credentials stored in Power BI Desktop.  Sign out (File\SignOut) and then clear your credentials cache (File\Options and Settings\Data Source Settings).  Just delete the ones that could be causing the problem - then try again.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I don't think you actually connect to the gateway from Power BI Desktop.  The normal process is the Gateway is only used for the Power BI Service.  You normally connect to the server via Power BI Destkop internal to the network that has your Server.  When you publish the workbook to the service, the service then uses the gateway to access the data (rather than an internal direct connection like used in Power BI Desktop).

Assuming your issue is you can't connect with Power BI Desktop to the server,   I suggest first check you can connect to the server via SSMS or similar (you could also just use Excel).  If that works, then it is most likely incorrect credentials stored in Power BI Desktop.  Sign out (File\SignOut) and then clear your credentials cache (File\Options and Settings\Data Source Settings).  Just delete the ones that could be causing the problem - then try again.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Yup, that works.  It is very disappointing though.  I want to replace Tableau Desktop/Server, but if we move to this then I have to create, maintain, and support 150-200 VPN accounts to our production environment.  Tableau lets me proxy data sources through the server, and I was under the impression that Power BI did the same.  Non-technical people with VPN access to our production environment is serious security issue.

Yeh, this is the same problem I ran into.  The inability to leverage a gateway from desktop creates a couple problems.

1) Since I installed the gateway on same machine as SSAS, my server name is "localhost".  If I try to use a fully qualified name I run into the classic "double hop" authentication problem.  Thus, users creating reports through desktop use a fully qualified name, but the gateway won't match because its server name is "localhost".

2) Users are not on the same network as SSAS.  Part of the appeal of PowerBI is it's supposed to be a cloud solution, and the gateway provides PowerBI service with access to SSAS without complex networking required to get all of our geographically dispersed users on the same network as SSAS.  Why can't the desktop client query through the online service's gateway?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @AaronLS , @rhenretta

I've come across an identical situation as this that you have discussed here. I'd thank you to know whether in the mean time you've found a better solution than this "hacked in" one. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.