Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kjkjkjnk
Helper I
Helper I

Can't Solve Circular Dependency, CALCULATE Can't See Values

Hello!

I previously had a problem of replacing a value from a table three dependencies deep.  Below is the link and the solution I found. 

I recently got another request for the same issue but to pull a different value.  Figured it wasn't a problem and just made a new column with the same code, replacing "Table4[Table 4 "account"]" with "Table4[Table 4 "new_request"]" (code below).  

This caused the circular dependency error.  From my research, the solution is to add CALCULATE with a REMOVEFILTERS filter.  However, the code for some reason gives a "Cannot Find Name" error for all column names for table1, which is where the new column sits (third example below).  

Moving the logic to a different table isn't a viable solution, and isn't sustainable anyway if these requests keep coming in.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

(Original, no issues) 

Replace =
IF('Table1'[Table 1 "names"] = "",
    (
        VAR Test1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Location 1 keys]Table2[Nameskey]Table1[Names keys])
        VAR Test2 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table3[Location 2 keys]Table3[Location 1 keys]Test1)
        VAR Test3 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table4[Table 4 "account"]Table4[Location 2 keys]Test2)
        Return Test3
    ),
    Table1[Table 1 "names"]
)

(New code, causes circular dependency error) 

ReplaceNEW =
IF('Table1'[Table 1 "names"] = "",
    (
        VAR Test1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Location 1 keys]Table2[Nameskey]Table1[Names keys])
        VAR Test3 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table4[Table 4 "new_request"]Table4[Location 2 keys]Test2)
        Return Test3
    ),
    Table1[Table 1 "names"]
)

(Attempted Solution, all Table1 columns give a "Cannot Find Name" error)

ReplaceNEW =
CALCULATE
(
IF('Table1'[Table 1 "names"]*ERROR* = "",
    (
        VAR Test1 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Location 1 keys]Table2[Nameskey]Table1[Names keys]*ERROR*)
        VAR Test3 = LOOKUPVALUE(Table4[Table 4 "new_request"]Table4[Location 2 keys]Test2)
        Return Test3
    ),
    Table1[Table 1 "names"]*ERROR*
),
REMOVEFILTERS(Table 1[Replace])
)

(Original issue) 
Solved: Re: Replace a value with data from a different tab... - Microsoft Fabric Community

2 REPLIES 2
Syk
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a screenshot of what your data model looks like and the tables you have? I think you just need to rework your model to avoid these confusing measures.

Here's the table layout: 
Table Structure: 
Table 1 (if blank) --> Table 2 --> Table 3 --> Table 4 (use this value) 

Table 1 -> Table 2: Many to Many, Cross Filter Direction: Both
Table 2 -> Table 3: Many to One, Cross Filter Direction: Both 
Table 3 -> Table 4: Many to One, Cross Filter Direction: Both 

The data itself is imported from Dynamics 365 so I can't rework the model unfortunately.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.