Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aldredd
Advocate I
Advocate I

Calculations depending on value in column in related table

Hi guys, after a little guidance

two tables - one contains Transactions, the other Transaction Reasons (ParentReason and ChildReason)

Tables are matched on TransactionID on a 1-1 basis

pbi.png

I'm trying to create a new field in BankTransactions which creates an absolute of Value, but only if the ParentReason is not 'Income'

I've create the below formula...

AbsoluteExpenditure = IF(TransactionDescriptions[ParentReason] <> "Income", ABS(BankTransactions[Value]),0)

But get the error

A single value for column 'ParentReason' in table 'TransactionDescriptions' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Given it's a 1-1 relationship, I suspect my fault is elsewhere. I've seen references to use RELATEDTABLE() but can't quite see how I should be using it (if at all)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @aldredd

AbsoluteExpenditure = If(RELATED(TransactionDescriptions[ParentReasons])<>"Income",Abs(BankTransactions[Value]),0)

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @aldredd

AbsoluteExpenditure = If(RELATED(TransactionDescriptions[ParentReasons])<>"Income",Abs(BankTransactions[Value]),0)

Lima - Peru

Thank you @Vvelarde - I could swear I tried that and didn't work - must have made an error!

Works a treat, thank you

dtartaglia
Resolver I
Resolver I

Will it work with VALUES:

IF(VALUES(TransactionDescriptions[ParentReason])...

Thanks, gave that a go but tells me I can't use VALUES with a directquery

Is that the issue - that I'm using Directquery?

I can do what I need to do within the source data, but keen to figure out if its possible within BPI

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.