Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Diego-mx
Advocate I
Advocate I

Calculation from a different table

Hi there, I need help with a calculation that involves two tables. 

My main table has targets indexed by month, and for simplicity I want to calculate the working days;  the reference table is a Calendar table which is indexed by day, contains the month, and has another column if the day is a working day or not. 

Target:  
  - month
  - working_days ?

Calendar 
  - date
  - month 
  - is_working_num

What I have tried is to use calculate to do: 

working_days = CALCULATE( 
  sum(Calendar[is_working_num]), 
  Calendar[month] = Target[month] 
)

I get an error that the expression contains multiple columns, but I can only use one.  
Yet it seems like I'm close, but I have tried for a while with no success. 

I should also mention that there is not a relation via month-month.  This is another issue, that I might address in another time.  

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Diego-mx,

Please check if one of the following columns return your expected result. For more details, please review attached PBIX file.

Column= CALCULATE( 
  FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthnumber] = Target[month] 
))
working_days = SUMX(
  FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthnumber]= Target[month]),'Calendar'[is_working_num]
)

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Diego-mx,

Please check if one of the following columns return your expected result. For more details, please review attached PBIX file.

Column= CALCULATE( 
  FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthnumber] = Target[month] 
))
working_days = SUMX(
  FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Monthnumber]= Target[month]),'Calendar'[is_working_num]
)

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Read my article here.  I realise it is not identical, but it should help you. https://powerpivotpro.com/2016/12/how-many-working-days-has-an-employee-been-off-work/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.