Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Calculate working days between order and delivery date

Hi, I'm going nuts. I want to calculate the number of workings days between order date and delivery date for each order. 

I have created a column for defining which dates are workings days and holidays:

Capture1.JPG

So far so good. I have also set the dates to dates and tried creating relationship between order and delivery date to my date table:

Capture2.JPG

I notice that the lines between delivery date and the date table is dotted - why?

I can easily subtract the delivery date from order date to get the results with holidays:

Leveransdagar = DATEDIFF(Underlaget[Orderdatum];Underlaget[Lev. datum];DAY)

I have searched everywhere to just sum up my working days and exlude holidays. I would prefer creating a measure but a column will do if I just could get it to work.

I would like to do something like this, but Power BI doesn't want me to do it:

Capture3.JPG

Is there anybody out there who could help me? Man Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand it correct you have a date table that lists if a date is a working day. It is 1 for working dates and 0 for weekends/holidays. 

Firstly the doted line is a disabled relationship as you cannot have two relationships between the same tables. You have to either use a different solution or duplicate the table.

For your main query. Given you did not provide the data structure of your fact table I will assume it is structurd as follows

OrderNumber  OrderDate  DeliveryDate

1                       14/1/2018    17/1/2018

2                       15/2/2018    20/2/2018

3                        21/3/2018   29/2/2018

Column = CALCULATE ( SUM ( DateTable[Workday] ),
           DATESBETWEEN ( DateTable[Date], 
                        Table1[OrderDate],
                        Table1[DeliveryDate] )
          )

What this column is doing is summing the number of workdays in between the two dates.

Hopefully this answers your questions

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I understand it correct you have a date table that lists if a date is a working day. It is 1 for working dates and 0 for weekends/holidays. 

Firstly the doted line is a disabled relationship as you cannot have two relationships between the same tables. You have to either use a different solution or duplicate the table.

For your main query. Given you did not provide the data structure of your fact table I will assume it is structurd as follows

OrderNumber  OrderDate  DeliveryDate

1                       14/1/2018    17/1/2018

2                       15/2/2018    20/2/2018

3                        21/3/2018   29/2/2018

Column = CALCULATE ( SUM ( DateTable[Workday] ),
           DATESBETWEEN ( DateTable[Date], 
                        Table1[OrderDate],
                        Table1[DeliveryDate] )
          )

What this column is doing is summing the number of workdays in between the two dates.

Hopefully this answers your questions

Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I think you nailed it. Smiley Happy You understood me correctly. My problem was my calendar didn't cover all my order dates, and I had to add -1 to your formula to get the correct days as I want to see them. But the main thing is that I guess I have to learn more about when using calculated columns instead of measures since I don't understand why your code doesn't work as a measure:

Capture5.JPG

Anyway - thank you for your help! Cat Tongue

If anyone know how to write the corresponding calculation with a measure I would very much like to see it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure =
SUMX (
    Table1,
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( DateTable[Workday] ),
        DATESBETWEEN ( DateTable[Date], Table1[OrderDate], Table1[DeliveryDate] )
    )
)

This should work.

The reason I first did it as a calculated column is because that is the first solution that I thought of. The measure should be better for performance etc.

Johanno
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You are great! Now I have a perfect match between my calculated column and my measure:

Capture6.JPG

I notice that the error in my first message was that I tried to use SUM instead of SUMX and that I referred to the Date table instead of the fact table. In Sweden we say SBS = Skit bakom spakarna = s h i t in front of the keyboard

/Johan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.