Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dave93
Frequent Visitor

Calculate the average ignoring a specific filter

Hello, I'm having trouble calculating the total average of payment days. The situation is as following:

I have 4 tables that are connected to my calculation:

1. 'Invoice History': stores all the invoices with an InvoiceNr, debtorNr and an Invoice_Date
  2. 'Payment Behaviour': stores an InvoiceNr and the PaymentDays (= a number that indicates te days between the invoice_date and the payment date)
  3. 'Debtors': Stores the information of all the debtors
  4. 'Dates': A table with all dates which are relevante to my report.

I have already made a measure that calculates the average payment days of all the individual debtors:

Average PaymentDays = 
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( 'Payment Behaviour'[PaymentDays] );
        FILTER (
            'Invoice History';
            RELATED ( 'Payment Behaviour'[InvoiceNr] ) = 'Invoice History'[InvoiceNr]
        )
    )

I used a filter because not all the invoices in the 'invoice history' table are paid yet. So I looked for my calculation only on the paid invoices. Now I want to make a measure that calculates the average payment days of all the debtors combined ignoring any debtor that I've selected in a slicer. I tried a lot of different things already but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Every time I make a measure it gives back the average payment days of alle the debtors ignoring even the months that are selected. So I get back the same average for every period. I just want to ignore the selected debtors. Not the selected dates. 

This is the last thing I tried:

Average PaymentDays Overall = 
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( 'Payment Behaviour'[PaymentDays] );
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT('Invoice History'; Dates[date]);
            RELATED ( 'Payment Behaviour'[InvoiceNr] ) = 'Invoice History'[InvoiceNr]
        )
    )

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I only want to ignore slicer selection for the measure beceause I want to compare the overall average payment behaviour with the average payment behaviour of the selected debtor. So I want to place multiple measures in a (line-chart) visual. So editing the interaction of the visual won't work in my case.

Here some additional information:

Payment Behaviour issue.png

I've already made a workaround by creating a additional table but I hope there is a sollution without having to do so. The workaround I made is the following:

Payments = 
FILTER (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Invoice History';
        'Invoice History'[InvoiceNr];
        "PAID"; AVERAGE ( 'Payment Behaviour'[PaymentDays] );
        "DATUM"; DISTINCT ( 'Invoice History'[DateInvoice] )
    );
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [PAID] ) )
)

This new table has some releationships with the 'Invoice History' and the 'Datum' table, but without the Debtors table. But I hope I can get the same results without creating this second table.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dave93,

In your scenario, which visual did you place this measure in? Did you only want to ignore slicer selection for this measure, or the whole visual contains this measure? If it's latter, you can Edit Interaction to force the visual can't be filtered by the slicer. Otherwise, please share some sample data about those four tables for our analysis.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I only want to ignore slicer selection for the measure beceause I want to compare the overall average payment behaviour with the average payment behaviour of the selected debtor. So I want to place multiple measures in a (line-chart) visual. So editing the interaction of the visual won't work in my case.

Here some additional information:

Payment Behaviour issue.png

I've already made a workaround by creating a additional table but I hope there is a sollution without having to do so. The workaround I made is the following:

Payments = 
FILTER (
    SUMMARIZE (
        'Invoice History';
        'Invoice History'[InvoiceNr];
        "PAID"; AVERAGE ( 'Payment Behaviour'[PaymentDays] );
        "DATUM"; DISTINCT ( 'Invoice History'[DateInvoice] )
    );
    NOT ( ISBLANK ( [PAID] ) )
)

This new table has some releationships with the 'Invoice History' and the 'Datum' table, but without the Debtors table. But I hope I can get the same results without creating this second table.

hey there. Were you ever able to find the solution you were looking for?

I have this same problem and would very much prefer not to make a new table. I figured an ALL or ALLEXCEPT should work, but the measure refuses to ignore a specific filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.