Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

felix_brenkel

CSV field separator when exporting table grid

This is still driving me crazy. When I export a table grid to a CSV file, comma is used as field separator and not semicolon. Although I have the DE Version of PowerBI Desktop installed and my regional settings are set to DE.

Where else can I change the CSV field separator ?

I need to go through the Text import every time in Excel and change the field separator.

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi  @felix_brenkel,

By my test, I could reproduce your issue.

That may be a feature request, you could vote this similar idea in Power BI forum which has been submitted and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

As a workaround, you could save as csv format when you import it as excel, then you will find the "," will be shown as ";" when you see the data in csv.

For this workaround, you should check if the list separator is";" for your regional setting.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry,

my list separator is set to ";" as it is my regional default, but still the CSV is exported with "," out of Power BI Desktop.

Hi @felix_brenkel,

I know this issue, have you voted that idea in Power BI forum? If not, please vote it.

In addition, you could use replace feature to replace "," to ";" when you edit the csv file as a workaround.

If you export data in Power BI service, you could select analysis in Excel and download it with excel, then save the file as csv format, then you will see the ";" as separator in your csv file.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I have voted for the idea.

Unfortunately I only have Power BI Desktop, so the analysis in Excel feature is not available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.