Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jjudy
Helper I
Helper I

Blank Query Connection Types

My workflow consists of writing a lot of native sql queries in data studio and adding an m wrapper from a snippet like 

let

Source = Sql.Database(ServerName, Database),
Query = Value.NativeQuery(Source, "

Query text

")

in

Query

I usually just open a blank query and paste the whole thing in Advanced Editor.

Recently, when doing this, I'm not prompted for the Connection Type UI to choose Import or Direct Query. When I close and load I get a "Working on it" pop up and then it freezes and eventually comes back but nothing loads. My workaround is to create another type of query or recent connection and choose the connection type and then overwrite it from there.

Is this intended or a bug?

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jjudy ,

When you close and apply your query, Desktop will pop up the following interface.
If you do not have this pop-up window, please update Power BI Desktop to the latest version.

v-lionel-msft_0-1616122842234.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm on build 2.91.701.0 64-bit (March 2021)

The issue is that the Set storage mode dialog box doesn't appear. I get a "Working on it" popup and then nothing.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @jjudy 

Yes this is the way a Blank Query works - you don't get prompted to say if it's Import or DQ.  This only happens when you choose a connector that supports DQ, like SQL.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

It's interesting that it never behaved this wayu before. I've been doing this for years and never had an issue before. Why would the change happen? If you're constructing a query from scratch and can't load it, what's the point in giving you the ability to create it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.