Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kwikiwi
Frequent Visitor

Big Data Advice

Hi

I've been using PowerBi for a couple of years. Have recently moved companies. Old company allowed direct access to ERP database. New company is a huge multi-national, but doesn't use powerBi or event powerquery in excel. My new company uses SAP ERP. 

I've been tasked with getting a system up and running which allows access to the ERP data, via the most efficient means. However i'm not extremely well versed in SAP connectors to powerBi, and top of the top management has expressed concerns about the ERP system being slowed down by all the subsidiaries having direct access to said data.

I know of Business Warehouse, but another concern has been raised around detailed data (i,e sales order line item level) being transferred to business warehouse - again slowing down the system. 

Where do I even start? Are there some books that may be useful for a foundtational understanding of efficient database access regarding SAP ERP? Surely there are multi national billion dollar companies using PowerBi and SAP ERP, with direct access to data with no issues.

Apologies if this is not the correct forum. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

There are third-party ETL tools designed to work with specific systems that will copy the data into a warehouse on a schedule. Usually you have an easier time if you use something that is "designed" to work with the system or has a good connector vs trying to DIY. E.g. Fivetran has an Oracle connector, unsure if it's good but people tend to say that's one of the easier ones to use for those who are not deep into data engineering. 

If you're worried about slowing the system down, usually you schedule the updates to run overnight and don't have "live" updates during business hours. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

There are third-party ETL tools designed to work with specific systems that will copy the data into a warehouse on a schedule. Usually you have an easier time if you use something that is "designed" to work with the system or has a good connector vs trying to DIY. E.g. Fivetran has an Oracle connector, unsure if it's good but people tend to say that's one of the easier ones to use for those who are not deep into data engineering. 

If you're worried about slowing the system down, usually you schedule the updates to run overnight and don't have "live" updates during business hours. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.