Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dpc_development
Helper III
Helper III

Better spacing between columns in Column chart

I have a Stacked Column Chart with a Date Hierarchy on the X Axis. Whenever I use 'Continuous' as the X-Axis Type, and when there are two columns, they get populated on either ends. I also have similar problems when there are very few dates. It looks like the below chart.

dpc_development_0-1640265986947.png

The chart is spaced a lot better when in Categorical X-Axis type.

dpc_development_1-1640266037699.png

I'd prefer to leave it at Continuous, as when I drill down to Dates, then it doesn't try to squeeze in every single date.

6 REPLIES 6
LimeGreenJimny

I managed to resolve this by placing the year under the legend and removing the year from the x axis and just using month

LimeGreenJimny_0-1691670592458.png

LimeGreenJimny_1-1691670638481.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dpc_development you need to change the x-axis type to "Categorical" from "Continuous" on the formatting pane.

parry2k_0-1640272917138.png

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@dpc_development although you already tried it, when you are using number and date columns on the x-axis and type is continuous it automatically distributes the data points in the width of the visual. I don't see there is any other way to adjust it except what @Pragati11 suggested.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @dpc_development ,

Just use the Inner Padding option as shown in the video below:

padding.gif

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

The Inner Padding doesn't really help, as it just makes the columns a bit wider or narrower. Also, it seems the axis on your chart is a text field and hence is automatically set as a Categorical axis.

HI @dpc_development ,

The axis on my chart is not TEXT, it is a DATE Hierarchy. Even on your chart if you drill-down from Year to Quarter, etc., you will get same. 🙂

There are 2 more options on the x-axis: 

Pragati11_0-1640267563728.png

You will have try these with different settings to get what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.