Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomi5
Helper I
Helper I

Best practice for date table when dealing with a fact table with more than one date?

Suppose I have a fact table ORDERS - perhaps it looks a little something like this:

ORDER IDCUSTOMER IDORDER DATESHIPPING DATEDELIVERY DATE
141st Jan 20223rd Jan 20226th Jan 2022
2710th Feb 202210th Feb 202211th Feb 2022

I also have a Date table that looks something like this

DATEQuaterYearWeek No.
1st Jan 2022   
2nd Jan 2022   

From these tables (and perhaps some extra dimension tables) I may want to ask questions like:

How many items were delivered in Jan 2022?

How many items were dispatched in Jan 2022?

How many total orders in Jan 2022?

The problem is that for each of these questions they rely on different dates in the ORDERS table. So creating a relationship between the Date table and ORDERS would require us to pick one specific date in the ORDERS table thus not allowing to filter on the other two dates.

What is in general the best way to handle such a scenario. I can think of a few solutions:

1) Create 3 relationships between ORDERS and Date table then in any visuals simply change the relationship that is being used with DAX USERELATIONSHIP function.

2) Split the fact table into 3 fact tables (ORDERS, SHIPPING, DELIVERY) based on each date and then have three active relationships between the date table and the new tables. This seems like a bad idea as we would have to also create more relationships for the other dimension tables also.

What would be a good solution in this case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi tomi5,

when there are multiple date columns you should think about what is the most important date column for the range of your usecases. For this you make the relationship active. For the other columns you also create also relationships. But since only one relationship can be active the other ones are inactive.

When you then want to make calculations with the other relationships you should take a look on the formula USERELATIONSHIPS() 

USERELATIONSHIP function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

For example:

Base formula for active relationship (delivery date)

Items delivered =
SUM('Fact Table'[Item Amount Column])

Formula with reference to the dispatch date

Items dispatched =
CALCULATE(
   [Items delivered],
   USERELATIONSHIP('Fact Table'[Dispatch Date Column], 'Dim Date Table'[Date])
)

Using USERELATIONSHIP in Combination with CALCULATE you can do all kinds of calculations covering your specific case.

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your kudos.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi tomi5,

when there are multiple date columns you should think about what is the most important date column for the range of your usecases. For this you make the relationship active. For the other columns you also create also relationships. But since only one relationship can be active the other ones are inactive.

When you then want to make calculations with the other relationships you should take a look on the formula USERELATIONSHIPS() 

USERELATIONSHIP function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

For example:

Base formula for active relationship (delivery date)

Items delivered =
SUM('Fact Table'[Item Amount Column])

Formula with reference to the dispatch date

Items dispatched =
CALCULATE(
   [Items delivered],
   USERELATIONSHIP('Fact Table'[Dispatch Date Column], 'Dim Date Table'[Date])
)

Using USERELATIONSHIP in Combination with CALCULATE you can do all kinds of calculations covering your specific case.

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your kudos.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@tomi5 

I suggest the 1st option as better one!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.