Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ry009
Helper I
Helper I

Best approach to dealing with aged data for Sharepoint Data files

Hello

My current method of data connection is automatic exports from relevant systems into a SharePoint folder. The flow I use with Power Automate grabs the files from an inbox and overwrites the previous day's file with the same filename.

Eventually, I would like to show historical data (change by month). What is the best approach to this from a data naming and query perspective? This may be more of a power automate question, not a Power BI question, but thought I would pose the question to a beginner like myself that had progressed to something similar. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My recommendation would be to make the snapshot date part of the file name. That way you are not dependent on the created date or last modified date for the file (which may be misleading).  Then connect to the sharepoint folder from Power BI and ingest/combine all the files.  Use the date part as the unique file identifier in your Power BI data so you can then easily compare snapshots between dates.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

My recommendation would be to make the snapshot date part of the file name. That way you are not dependent on the created date or last modified date for the file (which may be misleading).  Then connect to the sharepoint folder from Power BI and ingest/combine all the files.  Use the date part as the unique file identifier in your Power BI data so you can then easily compare snapshots between dates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.