Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dbadmin
Helper IV
Helper IV

Best Resource for learning M language?

@ImkeF - I know this is a question for you - and anyone else who might have some ideas.

I put it on the forum in case someone else would be interested in the info also. 

What resources, books, etc... would you recommend for learning M? Some of my reports I can use DAX and it be just fine, but as you know - there are others that require M - and have requirements that DAX can't meet. 

My reports are only getting harder - so I figured it was time to bite the bullet and start teaching myself M. 🙂 Any thoughts? 

EDIT: this was the only book I've found so far - but I wanted to get your recommendations first before I just start buying books.  

http://www.amazon.com/Data-Monkey-Guide-Language-Excel/dp/1615470344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14636691...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I've put together some learning ressources on my website here: http://www.thebiccountant.com/learning-resources/

The book you've mentioned is very good in my eyes. It is best suited for the Excel-user, and espacially at the beginning tries to do as much as possible with the UI. So if you don't have a strong IT-background this is the best start in my eyes.

But it is different if you want to learn M as a language. This approach might better suit those who come from a more technical background. Then I'd recommend to start with the Quick Intro on MSDN or the video.

Apart from that: I can recommend anything on that page. The more you read the easier you understand 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I've put together some learning ressources on my website here: http://www.thebiccountant.com/learning-resources/

The book you've mentioned is very good in my eyes. It is best suited for the Excel-user, and espacially at the beginning tries to do as much as possible with the UI. So if you don't have a strong IT-background this is the best start in my eyes.

But it is different if you want to learn M as a language. This approach might better suit those who come from a more technical background. Then I'd recommend to start with the Quick Intro on MSDN or the video.

Apart from that: I can recommend anything on that page. The more you read the easier you understand 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Nice compilation 🙂 Many thanks!

Hi Imke,

thank you so much for putting together learning resources on your blog.

I was wondering if you are aware of any resources for beginners who want to learn scripting in M from scratch? (very much like on Codecademy, Treehouse or Code.org) I've just read Rookie to Rockstar and M is for Data Monkey which are great resources for starters, both provide little insights into actually writing code in M though.

Thanks,

Rafael

I think this is the only best reference 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/m/understanding-power-query-m-functions

Thanks,

Rema

Thanks for sharing your website!

@ImkeF This stuff looks great! 🙂 THANK YOU!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.