Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Josh_Ped

Balance sheet graph stop at current month

Hi Guys,

I have a graph of total value of stock, and i cannot get it to stop at the current fiscal_month.

If have filters on the page for year and month.

The balance is made of periods CF, 0,1,2,3 etc

The balance has to include CF,0 otherwise it is just the current month net movement.

I have tried adding a flag to say if the period is included in the calc, but even that continues the same value on the graph

My current formula is 

Stock on Hand = CALCULATE(sum(TGLBalsheet[balance]),TGLBalsheet[accountid] IN {82,260,232,118},all(months),Months[Fiscal Month] <=Selectedvalue(Months[Fiscal Month]),Years[Year]=SELECTEDVALUE(Years[Year]))

And current graph looks like this, last year calcs just fine using the same formula (just with -1 on the selected year)

Any help is much apreciated

Josh_Ped_0-1673564130408.png

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Ped

Thanks @sevenhills , you have gotten me most of the way.

The reason i didnt attach the model was due to the 27 tables it requires 🙂 (it is not just balance sheet in the model).

Below is sample of the Bal sheet table (which i have no modified to include a date field)

Josh_Ped_0-1673583179214.png

I have updated the DAX formula to be this

Stock on Hand2 = 
CALCULATE(
		sum(TGLBalsheet[balance]),
		TGLBalsheet[accountid] IN {82,260,232,118},
		TGLBalsheet[Date]<= EOMONTH ( DATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Years[Year]), Selectedvalue(Months[Fiscal Month]), 1),-2)
	    )

And we are nearly there, it is just not displaying cumulative balances.

Josh_Ped_1-1673583239203.png

The Bal Sheet table is linked to a Calendar table via the date field...see below

Josh_Ped_2-1673583323630.png

Unfortunately the tables are not all adustable, and it would be preferable to have them all have a date field, but most just have a financial year and period as the "Date".

as a side note;

Would it be worth adding a date field to all tables to then link the calendar?

Cheers

Let us give a try like this and see if it works

Stock on Hand2 = 
var _cut_off_date = EOMONTH ( DATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Years[Year]), Selectedvalue(Months[Fiscal Month]), 1),-2)

-- RETURN _cut_off_date -- Can you test this value once and see if this is the cut off date, what you need?

RETURN CALCULATE(
         FILTER (allselected(TGLBalsheet),
		TGLBalsheet[accountid] IN {82,260,232,118} &&
		TGLBalsheet[Date]<= _cut_off_date 
	    )
)

Hi @sevenhills 

The cut off date is giving the expected date (as in we are in Jan, so i wanted everything up until 31/12/2022...which it is doing)

The DAX now give cumulative, but similar to my issue, there is no cutoff, it just keeps going

Josh_Ped_0-1673646172334.png

Glad the measure is working!

Still it is not clear with the chart image, what is the output you need?

you are having all 12 months as Jan to Dec and not sure what output you are expecting and which is the cut off date's month.

Since the cut off date and values are correct, Can you try with only the "Stock on Hand2" measure and remove the other two and see?

Other testing you can do is:

Create table visual, with Month-YYYY, TGLBalsheet[balance], cut off date measure and the "Stock on Hand2" measure and see the output you want is working correctly. then change it to image. Later add other measures and see where you are hitting the issue.

Thanks

Hi @sevenhills ,

Sorry for the late reply have been working on another piece of work.

below are a couple of screenshots of what I am expecting, and a snapshot of the data i am working with;

Data

Josh_Ped_0-1675713213133.png

Expected Graph (made up data). The orange line is already working correctly, it is the blue line (this year's data) that i need to stop at the end of the last completed month.

Currently the blue line continues at the maximum value for all months from Feb onwards

Josh_Ped_1-1675713242847.png

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data to work with and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Since you did NOT attach the model, it is tough to get the eaxact DAX.

I kind of wrote the psuedo code, to cut off at the end of the today's month. Hope this helps!

Stock on Hand = 

var _EO_MONTH_today = EOMONTH ( TODAY(), 0)

var _sel_date = EOMONTH ( DATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Years[Year]), Selectedvalue(Months[Fiscal Month]), 1))

var _cut_off_date = IF (_EO_MONTH_today >= _sel_date, _EO_MONTH_today, _sel_date)

RETURN 
	CALCULATE(
		TGLBalsheet[accountid] IN {82,260,232,118},
-- Optional: I would recommend to use cut off date here. It is Okay to use months and year fitler too. 
		all(months),
		Months[Fiscal Month] <= MONTH(_cut_off_date),
		Years[Year] = YEAR(_cut_off_date)
	)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.