Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

depple
Helper III
Helper III

Average based on total population

Hi,

I am trying to do something that is way out of my league, yet should I accomplish it, the output would be really powerful. It might be a trivial solution, but I might not be able to describe good enough what I am trying to do, but I will give it a shot.

In the visual table below each 0 indicates a Store with no sales of a Product Category. It is filtered, so the hundreds of other Store with sales in both Alfa and Bravo are not displayed.

Product Category
StoreAlfaBravo
Store 1 0
Store 200
Store 30 
Store 4 0
Store 50 
Store 6  
Store 7 0
Store 8 0

I would like to make new visual table with the same dimensions and same output of Store, but where there are "0" in visual table above, I would like to display average sales (think sales lost. This average is calculated from all Store with sales, and I have a measure for this. But it is not working in this context, because when I involve Store in table, the average is calculated per Store.

1) How do I alter measure below to disregard the Store dimension of my data? There are other dimensions that I would like to keep, but not Store.

AvgSales = DIVIDE([Sales];'Data[Distribution])

2) How do I get my AvgSales in the visual table where the 0's are? Here is the measure for 0 sales:

ZeroSales = VAR StoresWithZeroProduct =
FILTER (
VALUES ( 'Data'[Store] );
NOT ISEMPTY ( FILTER ('Data';[Sales]=0 ))
)
RETURN
CALCULATE( [Sales]; KEEPFILTERS ( StoresWithZeroProduct))

I will really appreciate any input on this. If everything turns out the way I want, the visual table would look like this:

Product Category
StoreAlfaBravo
Store 1 12
Store 29 
Store 39 
Store 4  
Store 59 
Store 6  
Store 7 12
Store 8 12

/depple

2 REPLIES 2
yelsherif
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

First, for the average part:

use the CALCULATE function and ALL or ALLSELECTED as follows:

AvgSales = DIVIDE(CALCULATE([Sales],ALLSELECTED(Data));'Data[Distribution]))

Now for placing the average instead of zeros, you can use a measure in the table instead of the Sales column:

_Sales = if(SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Sales]) = 0, [AvgSales], SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Sales]))

It would be better if you share the pbix file so that I make sure the calculations are correct

Hi @yelsherif ,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I was just about to delete my post, as I managed - by extensive trial & failure - to come up with a working solution. Unfortunately I immediately struck a new problem, because my matrix's vertical sums is returning values that appear to be - if not - close to averages. I have never experienced that before, so I guess that I could have something to do with the extremely homemade measures. I will try your measures, surely they are better, and maybe that'll do the trick!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.