Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average based on criteria from another column

Hi,

I have some information in CSV and wants to do calculations based on criteria (an average of output if ID's are the same)

In Excel à Column A contains "output" column B and C are ID's and in column D is the Excel calculation.

=AVERAGEIF(C:C;B2;A:A)

is the Excel formula in D2 

Excel_vs_PowerBI.png

In Power Bi I've tried EARLIER and VLOOKUPS but I don't get the desired result. I think it isn't very difficult, but I cannot find it 😞

Thnx,

Manfred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In your resource data, the ID1 and ID2 are same, so you can add any one to the filter. Please create a calculated column using the following formula and get expected result.

AVG = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table5[Output]),FILTER(Table5,Table5[ID1]=EARLIER(Table5[ID1])))

11.png

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In your resource data, the ID1 and ID2 are same, so you can add any one to the filter. Please create a calculated column using the following formula and get expected result.

AVG = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table5[Output]),FILTER(Table5,Table5[ID1]=EARLIER(Table5[ID1])))

11.png

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angelia,

Thnx for helping me. This works great and now I know what went wrong.

For the explanation I've created an example in Excel named the column Output. When I import the Excel file it goes fine. Normally I'll do first a SUMX to calculate different columns and then I want to do the earlierformule. SUMX only works with a measure

Your answer works perfect with my question so we close this post and I'll create a new explanation

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.