Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

scottda4270
Helper I
Helper I

Auto select first item in table

Good morning everyone. I have a working BI report with various visuals and slicers, all working fine. However, for the report to make sense, I need to select the first item in a table that's on the report. Is there a way to automate the selection of the first item in a table at all so my report makes sense from the initial load?

thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @scottda4270 ,

How do you identify the first item?
Once answered, the only thing I can think of is to create  a conditional column that indicates that a particular item is the first one and filter to that indicator by default.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi @danextian , thanks for the response. The table has multiple columns, one of this is 'priority' which is based on a number (1-300). So ideally I always want number 1 priority to be preselected (which is the top as I sort on the priority column). However unsure how to apply your suggestion?  
thanks. 

Mmm. why not preselect no 1 from a slicer?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hi @danextian   Sorry I am new to PowerBi having self taught myself a few basics a couple of weeks ago. My slicer is selecting data on the report based on another column called 'Product'. I am unsure how I create a slicer to filter on the product value and number 1 from the 'priority' column. Thanks for your continued help. 
thanks 

Hi @danextian , was wondering if you might be able to help me with the ad question above? Thanks

Hi

I was referring to something like this:

danextian_0-1717629201226.png

A slicer item is pre-selected so it becomes the default when opening a report. This will not work though if persistent filter is enabled as the latest slicer selections of a user gets saved.

Hi @danextian. Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated. So I have a table amongst other visuals and in that table is a colum called priority. This goes from 1-300. I have a slicer on the report that is called Product, there are 6 products. So currently when i select the right Product on the slicer that populates the table and other visuals with the right product info. However all the visuals have aggregated values till i select one item from the table..then all the visuals show correctly for that item. If i set a slicer to select priority 1 for instance in the table, then the rest of the table will not show (i.e. the other 299 items). I need a way to select the first item in the table without filtering out the remainder. Does that make sense? thanks again

I'm confused. You want to select the first the first item but you don't want to unselect the rest?  It would be best if you provided a sample data and your expected result from that using Excel, showing how you want the visuals to be rather than going back and forth with answers and questions.  https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/td-p/144...

Hi @danextian 

So here is my report, anonymised as necessasry. The top slicers influence what is in the table on the left, all working fine. When opening the report, no item is selected in the table. The visuals on the right are all based on the selected item in the table, with nothing selected in the table the visuals on the right aggregate values etc (i.e. you will see that value points are showing as 1402...this is a sum of all value points from every item in the table). As soon as i select an item from the table, all the visuals show fine, however the user of the report may not realise this as its not obvious. 

What i want to be able to do is to preselect row correpsonding to prirority 1 from the table by default, but importantly not to filter out the remainder table items...i.e. I still want them visible. Does this help explain?

thanks, Darren

scottda4270_0-1717668871828.png

Hi @danextian 

So here is my report, anonymised as necessasry. The top slicers influence what is in the table on the left, all working fine. When opening the report, no item is selected in the table. The visuals on the right are all based on the selected item in the table, with nothing selected in the table the visuals on the right aggregate values etc (i.e. you will see that value points are showing as 1402...this is a sum of all value points from every item in the table). As soon as i select an item from the table, all the visuals show fine, however the user of the report may not realise this as its not obvious. 

What i want to be able to do is to preselect prirority 1 from the table by defaut, but not filter out the remainder table items...i.e. I still want them visible. Does this help explain?

thanks, Darren

scottda4270_0-1717668871828.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.