Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kewaynes
Helper III
Helper III

Assign Alias to Parameters

Hi,

I'm creating parameters so that we can switch our data connection easily between our databricks dev and prod workspaces. I've been able to do this. The only issue I have with it is that the parameters are ugly and indistinguishable to someone whose new to the report/environments. 

For example, the server hostname for each databricks workspace is something like this abd-XXXXXXXXX.net

I created parameters for this so that the developer can switch between the two servers, but a lot of developers won't know which one is dev and which one is prod, unless they go out to databricks and check.

So what I'm wondering is, is there a way to assign an alias to a parameter? So that when the developer selects the 'Dev' as the current value, it returns abd-12345.net. And then if the developer selected 'Prod' as the current value, it returns abd-76890.net

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thanks. I've done this. What I'm hoping to do is make it so the developer doesn't need to know which string is dev and which is prod. 

Right now, for example, they would have the option to choose flip the parameter between abd-12345.net and abd-67890.net. This allows them to switch easily between dev and prod. The issue is that not all developers will know which one of these is dev and prod. I was hoping to assign alias. So the developer could just change the parameter to the 'Dev' or 'Prod' and the parameter would put in the corresponding hostname into the M code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.