Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ilia
Frequent Visitor

Always one value selected in Slicer

Can we use in Slicer something like "Radio button" instead "Check box".  I mean that always one value have to be selected. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ilia,

Currently, we are not able to set default value as you describe and disable the ability for user to cancel choice in slicers. Some ideas about the issue have been submitted to Power BI team, you can vote this issue in the following links.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7162004-default-selected-slicer-o...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12299949-single-selection-slicer

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Ilia
Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for answers, but I meant something different.

Step 1. There is only one value selected in Chiclet Slicer and everything looks good. Simple Card shows value for selected Chiclet.

one_selection.png

Step 2. But in Chiclet Slicer I can canceled my choise, thus none of the options were selected. And in this situation Simple Card summarizes all values. I don't want this. I need Simple Card shows only one value.

none (all)_selection.png

So, how to avoid situation where User can deselect and none of the values ​​were selected?

I need the exact same solution, avoid the "unselect all" and show only one value. Were you able to solve this?

I need the exact same solution, to avoid the "unselect all" and show only 1 value. Were you able to solve this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

In ChicletSlicer there is option called 'Forced Selection. Turn it on, it will force user to select atleast one value on slicer.

Capture.PNG

Perfect. Works well.

Hi @Ilia,

Currently, we are not able to set default value as you describe and disable the ability for user to cancel choice in slicers. Some ideas about the issue have been submitted to Power BI team, you can vote this issue in the following links.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/7162004-default-selected-slicer-o...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12299949-single-selection-slicer

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Jorre94
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Ilia,

When you download the custom visual ChicletSlicer 

Format > General > Multiple selection to OFF.

Here it isn't possible to select more then one value.

Regards,

Jorre

Good day

Hi Jorre94,

In using Chiclet Slicer, I have set Multiple selection to "off" and still if I use the Ctrl key I can select more than one item!

This is a problem that with CTRL it doesnt work

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

There is no option to disable "Select all" or to have a force selection in a slicer. But i have developed a workaround to hide data for "ALL". Create 2 measures as below.

Valid_selection = if(HASONEVALUE(Slicer_attribute), "", "Error: Select a Single value")

Valid_selection_numeric = if(HASONEVALUE(Slicer_attribute), 1, 0)

Pull the first measure into a card, which will be blank when a single value is selected and will throw an error message when it is more than one/All.

Second measure to be added as a visual level filter, add Valid_selection_numeric = 1 as visual level filter on all the visuals. Which means, the data will be displayed only when a single value is selected. 

Nothing but hiding the data for all.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps.

mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi Ilia,

Another option is after you create the slicer go to Format > Selection controls.  Set  Single Select to ON

This doesn't completely do what you want it to do, since users can CTRL>Select to select more than one checkbox.  But they won't be able to select more than one checkbox without using the CTRL button.

HTH,

Michele

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Ilia In power bi desktop you can set value for slicer and then publish report this will ensure your report in power bi service or anyone you share with will always have a value you selected for the slicer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.