Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tamiribas
Helper II
Helper II

Aggregation tables not showing real time data

Hi, 

If new records are being added every second to the source table which is connected in a Direct Query mode, how can I have them included in the Agg table?

It seems to me that the Agg table will only calculate the records that were imported in the last refresh.

Hence, the usage in the Agg table will show me inaccurate figures compared to the same calculation done from the original fact table.

The model scenario:

A fact table with 100M rows connected in a Direct Query mode (containing dates from 2020-to date)
4 dimensions in a Dual mode
An Aggregated table with 4 dimensions + a SUM calculation in an Import mode

The visual:

Showing the SUM calculation (a measure) by Years.

As expected, PBI is taking the values from the imported Agg table.

What am I missing?

Thank you,

Tamir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You're not really missing anything.  The query will only use aggregation tables if it knows the data is in there.  If not then it will use the details table.

In your scenario you might want to consider Incremental refresh with live "Today"  partition.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tamiribas
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you @lbendlin , In my understanding, the Agg table will be used only if the calculation refers to the same dimensions as in the Agg table. 

PBI does not know if all the data is included (from a record point of view) in the table.

However, the use of Incremental Import might be a great idea 🙂 Thank you

Tamir

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You're not really missing anything.  The query will only use aggregation tables if it knows the data is in there.  If not then it will use the details table.

In your scenario you might want to consider Incremental refresh with live "Today"  partition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.