Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rosh
Regular Visitor

Age distribution of Top Selling Customers

Hi there!

I am trying to obtain the top 10 customers by sales value and then return their respective dimensions (age, gender etc) into separate visuals. 

Currently I have the following measure which allows me to identify the top 10 customers using RANKX: 

TopN Customers sales =
CALCULATE([Customer Total Sales],
FILTER(VALUES(SalesDetail[CustomerID])
, COUNTROWS(
FILTER('TopN',
RANKX(ALL(SalesDetail[CustomerID]),[Customer Total Sales],,DESC,Dense) <= 'TopN'[Selected TopN]))
> 0 )
)

As mentioned, this will return the top customers sales. However now I want to also show the COUNT of the Age bands of these top 10 customers in a separate bar chart, that only indicates the age distribution and no sales data. 

rosh_0-1624554607765.png

I've tried to do this using the same CALCULATE measure above, except returning the count of the age bins. This however doesnt work. 

Any guidance would be appreciated! 
4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

It's not clear if you can share a pbix file with virtual data?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rosh , if you have age as column, then put that in histogram or your visual and use above measure as visual level filter for not blank

or try a measure like

CALCULATE([Age],TOPN('TopN'[Selected TopN]),allselected(SalesDetail[CustomerID]),[Customer Total Sales],DESC),VALUES(SalesDetail[CustomerID]))

Thanks for a quick response. 

Unfortunately neither options worked. The age is a column (bins), which is stored in the dimension table with a two way relationship onto the SalesDetail table. If I apply a visual filter, nothing is affected. 

Your above measure filters the age of topN per band it seems. So for TopN = 25, I am getting a count of age = 25 for each bin (if there is more than 25 counts of that age bin) in the histogram. 

This seems like it should be quite straight forward: 

Get top 25 customers ranked by SUM of their sales. 

Filter all visuals so that only the data relating to these top 25 customers is displayed. 

A visual filter would be ideal, as then I could apply it to any visual on the page. 

rosh
Regular Visitor

I cannot add a static TopN filter, as the topN needs to be dynamic based on a slicer. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.