Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise regarding two date slicers/filters

Hi Power BI experts

I need to create some visuals. Every data interpretation needs two visuals: one visual based on the last months data and one visual based on total data. My solution would be to put two date slicers on one page. Then there would be one page visual for last month and one page visual for all time. The date slicers would synchronize with the needed page.

Is there a better solution? It would be perfect if I could fit the two visuals on one page with different date ranges (one visual for last month, one visual for all time).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you use an unconnected table as the source of slicer and switch it to 'sync' mode which can sync on different report pages.
After you create the slicer, I'd like to suggest you create a measure to extract selections and compare them with current row contents to filter on expression level. Then you can use it on the visual level filter to apply filter effects.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you use an unconnected table as the source of slicer and switch it to 'sync' mode which can sync on different report pages.
After you create the slicer, I'd like to suggest you create a measure to extract selections and compare them with current row contents to filter on expression level. Then you can use it on the visual level filter to apply filter effects.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

With your approach in place, you can modify the visual interaction between the slicers and the visuals accordingly by turning off interaction where not necessary:

https://www.wisdomaxis.com/technology/software/powerbi/interview-questions/what-is-the-default-visual-interaction-in-power-BI-how-to-change-it-how-many-types-of-interactions-are-there.php

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fowmy 

Using drilldown or turning interaction off isn't what I need. Both solutions still change the data for two visuals on one page based on one date filter instead of the desired two date filters.

This is my page 1:

datafield_0-1610627535797.png

As you can see I have two date filters on page 1. First filter for the month of October. Second filter for the total time. The idea is that I can set the filters only on page 1 so that I can save space on the following pages to use more visuals.

Now on page 2, 3, 4,... there will be 2 visuals. One should reflect the data for October, the other visual should reflect the data for all time (in this case the second filter for 01.10.-30.11.2020). The problem is that both visuals react to the filter which shows the days from 01.10.-30.10.2020. But the second visual should show the data for the filter from 01.10.-30.11.2020. 

So how can a user see two visuals with different time frames at one glance (page)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.