Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

teaguejs
Helper II
Helper II

Adding an Additional Column to a newly created table from a separate table that correlates w/ column

Hi,

I recently created a new table based off a comparison between two columns for missing values. 

I used the following DAX statement to create the new table (called "Missing From Rapid7"):
Missing From Rapid7 =
EXCEPT( VALUES(CMDB_Active[ip_address]), VALUES(it_current[ip_address_rapid7]))

So based on those values within that table, I am trying to add an additional column in that table that contains the values from one of the original two tables (from the table called "CMDB_Active")

For example, I want to add the column "host_name" that contains the values from table "CMDB_Active" in this newly created table called "Missing From Rapid7".

Each of the values in the "Missing From Rapid7" is from a column called "IP Address". And each of the values in the "IP Address" column has a corresponding "host_name" value that is from the table "CMDB_Active".

Let me know if this makes sense or any further info is needed!

3 REPLIES 3
AntonioM
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You could try this in a couple of ways. One way would be to use ADDCOLUMNS, something like

Missing From Rapid7 =

ADDCOLUMNS(
        EXCEPT( VALUES(CMDB_Active[ip_address]), VALUES(it_current[ip_address_rapid7])),

"Host Name",

LOOKUPVALUE(CMDB_Active[host_name], CMDB_Active[ip_address], [ip_address])

)

Where [ip_address] is the name of the column in the newly created table, which should be ip_address if you haven't changed it.

Another option is to do all of this in Power Query. If you 'merge as new' between CMDB_Active and it_current, using a 'left anti join', then you would have the entire CMDB_Active table, only for ip_adress that are not in it_current.

AntonioM_0-1660811732529.png

Simple example, 2 and 3 are gone and you still have the 'word' column, which wasn't used in the join.

AntonioM_1-1660811742106.png

Hi, thanks for the help! I ran into a couple issues trying the first option.

First I used the "New Column" option with the following expression:

Column = ADDCOLUMNS(
EXCEPT( VALUES(CMDB_Active[ip_address]), VALUES(it_current[ip_address_rapid7])),

"Host Name"

LOOKUPVALUE (CMDB_Active[host_name], CMDB_Active[ip_address], [ip_address])

)

I received the error: 
The syntax for 'LOOKUPVALUE' is incorrect. (DAX(ADDCOLUMNS( EXCEPT( VALUES(CMDB_Active[ip_address]), VALUES(it_current[ip_address_rapid7])), "Host Name" LOOKUPVALUE (CMDB_Active[host_name], CMDB_Active[ip_address], [ip_address])))).

So then I added a comma after "Host Name", and got the following error:
The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

You're right, I missed a comma after the new column name (I've added that in now). 

The idea with LOOKUPVALUE is to 

• use the current value of [ip_adress] from the new table you're creating with EXCEPT
  • match that to the value of CMDB_Active[ip_address]
  • look at the coresponding CMDB_Active[host_name]

Is it written exactly as below (with the comma this time)? I've tried that on a very quick setup and it seemed to work fine for me. If not, could you share some of the data?

Missing From Rapid7 = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
"Host Name",
LOOKUPVALUE(CMDB_Active[host_name], CMDB_Active[ip_address], [ip_address])
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.