Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Active userbase calculation

Hi Community Members,

Have been wrapping my brain around this one, but can't seem to figure this one out on my one. I have a basic flat table with login behavior. A timestamp of login and which user logged in [user_id].

timestamp user_id
19-5-2020 10:08 80
21-6-2020 18:21 648
5-6-2020 09:07 307
19-5-2020 09:54 130
8-6-2020 15:43 28
1-6-2020 12:59 425

What I am looking for is a way to calculate the amount of active users we have in our userbase at a certain point in time. The defintion for an active user is a distinctcount of user_id's for users that have logged in for four consecutive weeks prior to the week I am looking at. I have a seperate DATE table with a weeknumber in it.

Hence if I select week 27 in my DATE table, I would like to have a distinctcount of unique user_id's of users that logged in in week 23 & 24 & 25 & 26. However, if I select week 20, the previous weeks would be 16 & 17 & 18 & 19. 

I have tried looking into this with a colleague, but have not figured out a measure yet.

Is someone able to give me a little nudge in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I created sample pbix file, you can get it from this link.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create a measure as below:

Active userbase = 
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Userbase'[user_id] ),
    FILTER (
        'Userbase',
        WEEKNUM ( 'Userbase'[timestamp] )
            >= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'DATE'[Weeknumber], WEEKNUM ( TODAY () ) ) - 4
            && WEEKNUM ( 'Userbase'[timestamp] )
                < SELECTEDVALUE ( 'DATE'[Weeknumber], WEEKNUM ( TODAY () ) )
    )
)

active userbase.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

Out of all possible solutions, your solution gives me back some data. However, I do have two comments:

1. What happens when we move into the new year. Does the calculation still hold for week 2 of 2021, where I would like to see data for week 50 - 52 [2020] and week 1 of 2021?

2. When I make a card. It gives me back the number I am expecting. However, When I add weeknumber on the x-axis and I wish to see the trend per week, it simply gives me back the user count of that week. What I was expecting is that it would give back the distinct user count of the four weeks before week 26 [week 22 - 25]. And when I look at the week before that week 25 [week 21 - 25]. This is not what is happening.  Any idea what might be happening?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I created sample pbix file, you can get it from this link.

Best Regards

Rena

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please try this expression for the count of users that were active in all of the previous four weeks.

Active Users =
VAR __thisweek =
    MIN ( 'Date'[WeekNumber] )
VAR __summary =
    FILTER (
        CALCULATETABLE (
            ADDCOLUMNS (
                SUMMARIZE ( Login, 'Date'[WeekNumber], Login[user_id] ),
                "@logins", CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Login ) ) + 0
            ),
            ALL ( 'Date'[WeekNumber] ),
            'Date'[WeekNumber] < __thisweek
                && 'Date'[WeekNumber] >= __thisweek - 4
        ),
        [@logins] > 0
    )
VAR __usersummary =
    FILTER (
        SUMMARIZE ( __summary, Login[user_id], "@weeks", COUNTROWS ( __summary ) ),
        [@weeks] = 4
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( __usersummary )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , refer to my blog on Week, Try to have measure rolling 4 or 5 week, based on the 12 week rolling measure

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-Last-Week/ba-p/1051123

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.