Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bigman24
Frequent Visitor

AVERAGEX and GOMEANX not yielding consistent results

I have been having a heck of a time getting this to work so I am throwing in the towel and reaching out.  I have a VERY simple problem that seems to have a rather complex solution. 

Essentially I am trying to take an average value of a measure for a certain date range.  The original measure is a IF/ThEN Statement that takes a value and puts it into a % bucket... Below is a sample data set.  All columns are measures (except week) and given the way the data and calculations work I cannot add a calculated column to solve this issue.

Week Ending     Value             Tier             BI-Weekly Average of Tier

Week 1             .145                90%           -

Week 2             .245                80%            85%

Week 3             .089                100%         -

Week 4             .345                 70%           80%

Etc. for 14 weeks, but 7 BI-Weekly values that need averaging.

Of this sample data the number I am looking for is Average of Bi-Weekly Tiers "Quarterly %= 82.5%"  (I know there is a flaw in the math logic by taking an average of an average, but that is my directive).  The formala I am using is:

Quarterly %:= CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(VALUES('Report Date'[Week Ending]), [BI-Weekly Average of Tier]))

Every measure in the caluclation series works properly, however, when I use the "Quartly %" formula to get the final average of the "BI-Weekly Average of Tier" I get varrying results for different 'Business Location'.  For 50% of the locations (34) the restults are perfect.  However for the other 50% it doesnt work.  Each location is setup as a drop down.  For the 'problem' locations I get a rounded number like 80.00% and its close, but not exact like 82.5%.  

Other formulas I have tried are:

Quarterly %:= CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(VALUES('Report Date'[Week Ending]), [BI-Weekly Average of Tier]),

FILTER(VALUES('Report Date'[Week Ending]),ISEVEN([Week Ending])))

Quarterly %:= IF(ISEVEN([Week Ending]),CALCULATE(SUMX(VALUES('Report Date'[Week Ending]),                                                                     DIVIDE([BI-Weekly Average of Tier],7))),0)

I tried GEOMEANX as well and it came closer but no cigar

Thank you in advance for your help with this!

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bigman24 ,

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.