Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Farau
Regular Visitor

2 columns with same kind of data - grouping problem

Hello community. It is my first post here and I'm quite a new user to Power BI. I had some experience with MicroStrategy and Tableau before. Right now I create dynamic report for my own practising and learning purposes. I've done something similar in Tableau before, but I've difficulties recreating that in Power BI.

Objective: I want to create report which filters and shows results of 2 player games between various factions.

1) I have connected to data from google sheet, where people type results of games in board game. Then done some basic cleansing in power query to exclude data I'm not interested in (3/4 player games). The data looks like this:

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 12-42-07 Forbidden Stars - data and results.png

2) In my Tableau report I've created a group called "Factions combined". It covered every possible combination of factions no matter if it was played as Player 1 or Player 2.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-11-13 125400.png

3) This allowed me to use this "Factions combined" group to do charts like this:

Zrzut ekranu 2021-11-13 125704.png

My main question is - what should I use to combine Player 1 and Player 2 factions so they are treated as one and can be checked against each other no matter the column faction is in? I've tried hierarchy and grouping but no results so far. Also I've been trying some groupby and summarize in DAX, but also can't get it working.

Cheers, Rafael.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Farau
Regular Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler. I've came with solution - I've created a new column which added the names of two factions that played (from total 4) so I've ended up with 6 various match-ups.

I used this as my slicer for dashboard to filter the data only for given match-up in some visuals. I present results below.

Farau_1-1637002221951.png

Farau_0-1637001972286.png

Thank you for engagement, the problem is solved!

Cheers, Rafael.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Farau
Regular Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler. I've came with solution - I've created a new column which added the names of two factions that played (from total 4) so I've ended up with 6 various match-ups.

I used this as my slicer for dashboard to filter the data only for given match-up in some visuals. I present results below.

Farau_1-1637002221951.png

Farau_0-1637001972286.png

Thank you for engagement, the problem is solved!

Cheers, Rafael.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Farau You could generate a similar table to what you did in Tableau using the GENERATE function to generate all possible value combinations between two columns. Something like:

Table =
  GENERATE(
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"Player1",[Player 1 faction],
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Table',"Player2",[Player 2 faction]
  )

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello @Greg_Deckler, thank you for your time to put this answer down.

I've tried your suggestion and it produces a table with over 44k records, single combination being multiplied in few thousand rows. Not exactly what I need, although I might don't know how to use it properly.

I modified query and created 4 conditional columns for each of the faction. If faction appeared in given game its name will be copied into dedicated column. I'll try to work with hierarchy and grouping again from that point.

If you have any more ideas how to achieve result I've posted in 1st post (in Tableau) - you are welcome!

Thank you for effort, Rafael.

@Farau I would need sample data as text or a PBIX/Tableau file to work with as I am still not certain exactly what you are trying to achieve or fully understand where you are running into issues.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.