Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

motoray
Helper V
Helper V

New connections in Gateways and Connections despite using the same data source

Hello,

I've noticed that when others create new Gen2 dataflows, they have to create new connections to the data sources--despite them having access to existing connections. As a result, I'm getting lots of duplicate data connections when new Gen2 DFs are created. Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior? I also noticed that if I take over a Gen2 dataflow, it's sometimes impossible to get it to work without setting up even more new data connections--again despite their being exsiting connections. 

This process worked much better with Power BI reports/datasets--as long as the user taking over the dataset had permission to the connection it was/is seamless. There are lots of seams here and it's making me back off using these Gen2 dataflows.

13 REPLIES 13
Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@miguel I was able to replicate this. Hope this helps. I'd rather not open a support ticket for this. It's minor and support tickets have been turning into what seems like a part-time job for us....

1) I started with a dataflow with SQL Server connections mapped to an on-prem gateway connection. This is a dataflow that I was already the owner of and connections were all linked.

2) Go to the manage connection page in the PQ editor. Unlink the connection.

3) The warning pops up that one or more connections require credentials.

4) Remap the source the gateway connection.

This causes a personal mode connection to appear in the data source list.

Joshrodgers123_0-1708966470355.png

Just did some more testing. 

1. Checked existing connections and verified there were no Personal mode connections.

2. Created new Gen2 dataflow using existing shared connection previously set up on our gateway.

3. Refresh connections and observe new Personal mode connection to the server/database.

Did a bit more testing:

1. Created a Gen2 dataflow as above--using existing shared connection.

2. Got the extra personal mode connection, but deleted it.

3. Refreshed the dataflow no problem--indicating it's using the shared connection.

4. Had another person "Take Over" the dataflow and refresh it. No problem.

5. Had the other person disconnect the connection and reconnect it and no new personal mode connection was created.

6. I took over the connection again and refreshed, no problem.

7. I disconnect the connection and then recreated it and got a new peronsal mode connection.

8. I deleted the new connection and the dataflow still refreshes from the shared connection.

I can write a checklist to keep these connections to a minimum, but this is painful. Will submit an idea as suggested.

Sigh.

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

Whenever you take over a dataflow, it effectively unlinks any connections that it had. They are not persisted or automatically transfered to the user taking over the dataflow, hence you will need to go through the process of linking connections to the Dataflow inside of the Power Query editor. 

If you have existing connections, you should be able to see them from the dropdown. However, if you are using a different Gateway then that could be causing the discrepancy as some connections might be bound to a specific gateway and you might have to create new ones for the new alternate gateway that you might be using for your dataflow. To dig deeper into what could be happening, I'd suggest opening a support ticket as mentioned in a previous reply.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @motoray ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Can you please help me in order to understand the issue in detail?
Are you observing duplicate connection in same Dataflow Gen 2? If possible please share some screenshots for better understanding.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I'm seeing the same things (with Gen1 dataflows as well).

I have connections running through the gateway, but whenever I connect to them with a dataflow, it creates a bunch a duplicate ones under "personal mode".

It has caused our datasource list to become really big and unmanagable.

Joshrodgers123_0-1708748739230.png

This is it exactly--for me it's been with Gen2 dataflows primarily. I'll work on getting screenshots for that, but they look exactly like this where I get lots of "Personal" mode connections and can't seem to be able to force the dataflow to use the shared connecton instead.

Shareable connections are not supported in Dataflows just yet. We are hoping to add support for them later this year.

You can post your request and help us prioritize the effort in the Fabric Ideas portal:

https://aka.ms/FabricIdeas 

I posted it as an idea and it was declined. They suggested I post it over here for help.

Best circular logic I've experienced in a while.

https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=03c965a7-d6d4-ee11-92bd-000d3a0d7518

Saw the idea, but it appears that the idea posted talks about the issue from this thread rather than the actual feature request for being able to Share a connection.

I've captured the idea in a new post:

https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=7e474f1d-66e1-ee11-a747-00224850a62f 

Hi @Joshrodgers123 ,

If you are observing this issue in dataflow gen 1, I request you to raise a new query over here - Service - Microsoft Fabric Community

You can get a some help in Power BI Forum.

Thank you

This is happening in gen 2 and gen 1.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.