Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WhisperofCoding
Frequent Visitor

MashupException.Error: an error occurred during the pre-login handshake

Hi guys,

I keep receiving an error while fetching data with a Dataflow Gen2. I am trying to get data through our Gateway (version 3000.178.9) but keep hitting the same error over and over. 

I tried 2 options through the gateway:

- Receiving data from a database on a local SQL server (autorization is correct)

- Receiving data from csv file on our network

Both options gave the same errors.

We also use Power BI through this same gateway without any problems. 

I used 'My workspace', but also created a new workspace, still the same problems.

WhisperofCoding_0-1688550062870.png

WhisperofCoding_1-1688550115876.png

WhisperofCoding_2-1688550477606.png

Full error message:

Mashup Exception Error Couldn't refresh the entity because of an issue with the mashup document MashupException.Error: Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.) Details: DataSourceKind = Lakehouse;DataSourcePath = Lakehouse;Message = A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.);ErrorCode = -2146232060;Number = 121;Class = 20 GatewayObjectId: xxxxxx

7 REPLIES 7
SidJay
Employee
Employee

When a dataflow is bound to a Gateway, all the read and write operations are executed via the Gateway.

To transfer data from staging to a warehouse without using the Gateway, you would currently need a separate dataflow that is not bound to a Gateway.

Dataflows are either executed entirely in the Cloud or entirely on a Gateway. There isn't a blended mode.

Thanks

SidJay
Employee
Employee

Could you please confirm that the configuration that Miguel suggested earlier in the thread has been applied?

Configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

Additionally, Port 1433 needs to be opened. The documentation is being updated to include this.

Thanks

Am currently working with my IT folks to try and get that port opened. We'll see what they say.

I thought the whole point of the gateway is so you don't have to jump through these kinds of hoops--it's been pretty great up to now. And I still don't understand why the port needs to be opened if I'm getting data in the staging warehouse--at that point, isn't the next step just moving it from staging to the warehouse?

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

hey folks! Could you please read the article below and check if these proxy considerations have any impact on your scenarios?

Configure proxy settings for the on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

AnthonyGenovese
Resolver III
Resolver III

I am having the same issue. It loads the data from on prem fine. You can see the data in the staging warehouse. However it doesn't write it to the Lakehouse correctly

Having the same issue here. Have tried everything I can think of--rebuilding the workspace and dataflows multiple times. I was able to load data from a Gen1 dataflow source into a Lakehouse, but can't get the onprem data to go from the staging lakehouse into the production lakehouse.

WhisperofCoding
Frequent Visitor

I also tried the gateway port test, that all came out with status 'Success':

Overall Results : 32/32 tests succeeded.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors