Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

IDEA::DATAFLOW GEN2::SEMANTIC MODEL::ALLOW INCLUSION

CONTEXT:

A LH with a bunch of tables.  

A semantic model derived from these.

A DFg2 outputting a table; this DF is needed because of the complex transformations needed to change the shape of the data to accomodate the constraints imposed by a Power BI visual (otherwise you can't visually show this data with this visual, and it only makes sense to show it with thisd visual).  So if persisting this data to the LH, we would basically duplicate it since it is already in the LH in its raw shape.  However, come to think of it, if no data destination is chosen, the default Fabric LH is used anyway because you have to enable staging in order to be able to publish the DF.  So you end duplicating the data no matter what.

ISSUE:

The table output by the DFg2 cannot be included in the semantic model, only the tables from the LH can.  The only way currently to achieve this is to persist the DFg2 output to a new LH table.  

The question then really boils down to:  do not use Enable Staging and just persist explicitly to a user LH, thus the issue goes away; or add new functionality so that if not persisting to a user LH/WH, a semantic model can be created on top of the output of DFs, which actually could be a use case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Element115 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

This appears to be more of an idea than a topic for the forum in terms of inquiries or discussions. You can post this and any future ideas in the Ideas portal using the link below:

https://aka.ms/FabricIdeas

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

I'm not sure I understand the scenario.

From the Dataflow Gen2 perspective, we either load data to a new table or an existing table in the Lakehouse. The concept of using a staging to accomplish it or not is more of a definition of the logic that you want to set, but you can always disable staging.

Is this more about the limitations that you have between a lakehouse and a semantic model derived from it?

ah Christ!  can't delete this post. Oh well...

Hi @Element115 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

This appears to be more of an idea than a topic for the forum in terms of inquiries or discussions. You can post this and any future ideas in the Ideas portal using the link below:

https://aka.ms/FabricIdeas

Thank you.

Sorry my bad... I was on automatic pilot thinking I was gonna add a screenshot but then didn't.  I usually post here when I have screenshots and then repost the permalink on the Ideas site so that they can see. The Ideas site doesn't let you insert screenshots.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.