Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MG86
Advocate II
Advocate II

New Semantic Model refresh activity - refresh unsuccesfully succesful

Unfortunately I get some unexpected results with the new semantic model activity. I used it in a simple pipeline with schedule to refresh dataflows, upon success the semantic model is refreshed.

The pipeline completes without errors, the dataflows refresh and have verified that the data there is refreshed. The semantic model _appears_ to have been refreshed as the refresh time is updated and no warnings in the workspace. However, when I open the report running on top of the semantic model, the data actually has not been updated. When I run a manual refresh in the workspace it does update the data.

When looking at the refresh history for the semantic model I see that the 'on demand' and 'scheduled' refreshes took about ~2 minutes, while the 'Via Enhanced Api' type that is triggered by the pipeline activity only takes 6 seconds despite not returning an error.

In the JSON output of the pipeline it also shows each individual table as 'succesful' 

I tried building in a 5 minute Wait activity in between, to account for a possible delay of the dataflow actually being populated, but it made no difference.

Could it be I need to be a tenant admin? The documentation says 'tenant account', but to me that just seems any xx@tenant.xx with a PBI license. I'm also the owner of the semantic model btw.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MG86
Advocate II
Advocate II

A fix was implemented last friday and I can confirm that it now works as expected. Thank you.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
MG86
Advocate II
Advocate II

A fix was implemented last friday and I can confirm that it now works as expected. Thank you.

eivindhaugen
Frequent Visitor

From LinkedIn in a post:
"The fix is going out this week to all tenants. Please keep an eye out for next week that you’re seeing the appropriate refresh state"

kevingauv
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same issue here. I'm the admin of the capacity. Test ont 3 different Semantic Model (import mode), always the same issue.

DC07
Regular Visitor

same here. anyone open a ticket?

Hi, I did. They're looking into it.

I did too, they made me redo most of the things, unsuccesfully. They transfered the request to another team, cause the guy helping me wasn't able to solve the problem.

Any update on this.  Not working for me either.

Not yet,

I have ongoing support and sent more information to the team.

marco_parravano
Regular Visitor

Same problem here.

I created a simple PowerBI report with this data for a simple test: Source = DateTime.LocalNow().

When Semantic Model is refreshed manually or scheduled you can see datetime label updated in report but when it is refreshed through pipeline activity it will be marked as refreshed but data it's not.

I'm sure somebody is already working on this so thank you in advance.

Marco

Today my test semantic model is correctly refreshed through pipeline semantic model refresh activity. So are other semantic models with data from various sources. It seems this issue has been solved but I'll keep monitoring to see if it breaks again before using it for real.

Many thanks to anyone working on it.

It's working on our side too.

Thx averyone!

It seems to work for me too.
Thanks!

chris__1
Helper III
Helper III

@MG86 wrote:

When looking at the refresh history for the semantic model I see that the 'on demand' and 'scheduled' refreshes took about ~2 minutes, while the 'Via Enhanced Api' type that is triggered by the pipeline activity only takes 6 seconds despite not returning an error.

I can confirm the exact same behaviour unfortunately!

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello @MG86 ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
nAt this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Hi @v-gchenna-msft ,

Any update on this? I saw the post ont the Fabric Blog yesterday about this feature, however, it seems that we are a bunch of people that are not able to use it.

Thx in advance.

Kevin

Hi @MG86 ,

CC: @marco_parravano , @chris__1 , @eivindhaugen 

Apologize for the issue you are facing. The best course of action is to open a support ticket and have our support team take a closer look at it.

Please reach out to our support team so they can do a more thorough investigation on why this it is happening: Link 

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Hi @MG86 ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you got a chance to create a support ticket.

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Hi, didn't get around creating a support ticket. Here is the ticket number: 2405020050003928

Hi, I have the same issue, and I've submitted a support ticket: 2404230040008403

eivindhaugen
Frequent Visitor

I got an error, but not sure if it is the same issue:

First I was able to run it and then I got an error after setting it up to scheduled refresh, with the following error message:
semantic model refresh {"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"data ID belongs to a shared capacity."}}

The semantic model was import from the Lakehouse, but publised to a workspace which is not attached to a Fabric Capacity. Is this a limitation (I did not find any information).

Publised the model to a Fabric capacity workspace instead and it seems to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.