Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arpost
Advocate V
Advocate V

Is Fabric going to get a system-managed identity?

Greetings, all. I saw this blog post (link) that talked about Fabric supporting service principals now, but I was curious to know if there is any plan to add a system-managed identity for Fabric. Handling private endpoints/firewalls is a pain, and system-managed identities would make this so much easier.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arpost ,
Thanks for using Fabric Community.

Apologies for the issue and thanks for providing the feedback.

We are actively working on adding Private Link Support and Connectivity using workspace to Fabric, and we expect to have this feature available in a future release in 2024. 

vnikhilanmsft_0-1699637757477.png

vnikhilanmsft_1-1699637856936.png

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further queries. Glad to help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
VijayChettiar

Has this been released? I am not able to see an option for workspace identity yet in fabric

I haven't actually tested it out yet (and don't think I have seen this discussed on the Fabric blog), but I just searched and found this MS doc (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/security/workspace-identity). If this has been released, I will be very happy.

Thanks! Looks like it is released but only to F64+ and not even on F64 trial. I am looking for an option to connect to a SQL MI behind vnet and it is only F32. Need to look for something else. (else use a staging storage account which is okish)

Didn't see the F64 requirement. That seems a bit crazy to me for managed identities to be tied to F64. I could understand it for the VNET piece, but getting access to managed identities shouldn't require that much of an investment to my thinking. Granted, they are quite convenient, but not necessarily $5k-$8k/month convenient.

100% agree. This seems way too high a barrier for this feature.

And it's $8k/month! not per year, so nearly $100k/year

Good catch. I updated my post. You could go reserved and drop that to $5k/month. But still.

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arpost ,
Thanks for using Fabric Community.

Apologies for the issue and thanks for providing the feedback.

We are actively working on adding Private Link Support and Connectivity using workspace to Fabric, and we expect to have this feature available in a future release in 2024. 

vnikhilanmsft_0-1699637757477.png

vnikhilanmsft_1-1699637856936.png

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further queries. Glad to help.

Hi @arpost ,
Glad that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors