Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LasseLJørgensen
Regular Visitor

sumx and datediff with remaining days

Hi everyone,

I have an issue where im trying to count the number of days between two days that is determined by the year chosen. What i want is to have remaining days between start and end date being summed up in the year chosen in the filter context.

For example:
Year 2014.PNGyear 2015.PNGYear 2014 and 2015.PNGyears.PNGData model.PNG

I have no problem in counting the dates (as shown), but im getting issues as soon as i am trying to put it into a sumx. The dates and datesdiff isnt' totalling correctly when the filter context is different from the date incurred (which the filter is connected to). The measure im using is as follows:

Diff_acrossDates =

VAR min_data = MIN ( 'Data'[Date incurred] )    

VAR max_data = MAX('Data'[Date paid])

VAR max_data_relat = CALCULATE(MAX('Data'[Date paid]), USERELATIONSHIP(Betalt_Kalender[DateKey], 'Data'[Date paid]))

VAR valgt_dato = IF(ISFILTERED('Betalt_Kalender'[Year]), DATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Betalt_Kalender[DateKey]), 12, 31))

VAR valgt_dato2 = SELECTEDVALUE('Betalt_Kalender'[Year])

VAR dato_01_01 = IF(ISFILTERED('Betalt_Kalender'[Year]), DATE(MIN('Betalt_Kalender'[Year]), 01, 01))

VAR dato_12_31 = IF(ISFILTERED('Betalt_Kalender'[Year]), DATE(MAX('Betalt_Kalender'[Year]), 12, 31))

RETURN

sumx('Data',
    IF(         min_data <  dato_01_01  
        &&      max_data_relat >= dato_01_01,  DATEDIFF(dato_01_01, max_data_relat, DAY) + 1 , //counting down from date paid

IF(     min_data >= dato_01_01
                        && max_data_relat <= dato_01_01, DATEDIFF (MIN('Data'[Date incurred]), dato_12_31, DAY) + 1  //counting up from date incurred

, IF(           min_data >= dato_01_01
                            &&      max_data_relat <= dato_12_31, DATEDIFF(min_data, max_data, DAY) + 1   //counts between dates
                            , 0)
                )
)
)

please let me know if further info is needed
3 REPLIES 3
some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @LasseLJørgensen the best practice will be to put two dates in column and in third column find simple difference like INT(date1)-INT(date2)

Still, if you need slicer affected difference, when one possible option is usage of SELECTEDVALUE function.

There is no model / details from your side for input and expected ouput to provide some solution.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LasseLJørgensen
Regular Visitor

@some_bih 
Hi there, im allready using a date table.

What im trying to do is count a datediff where the start and end up until 01-01 and 12-31 so that it counts the datediff in eg 2014 or 2015. the difference in dates has to 'fit' the year the start and end is located.

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @LasseLJørgensen I do not fully understand what you are need to get, but what I understand is that difference for some dates, best work with dates from Calendar / Date table. My practice when I need to calculate some difference for dates, min or max, I usually calculate some event date compared with Calendar / Date table date and put visual with this column. This is also best practice as unique key column is guaranteed compared with possible duplicated rows is eventually fact (your table). This could be sometimes trouble as context transition (usage of DAX function CALCULATE) perform differently on dimension compared to fact tables.

If possible, try to remodel your request from / toward Calendar / Date table.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors