Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Justinnn
Regular Visitor

Weighted Average for several items over time

Hi all,

I'm struggling for a long time with applying a weighted average with three Tables for a specific item over time. I've seen other issues regarding weighted average, but not in this format.

Relationship Tables:

Justinnn_0-1676897586380.png

Table 1: Spend. Here the spend contains an identifier, date and price.

Justinnn_0-1676912688063.png

Table 2: Commodities; This table contains the raw commidities [items] that influence the price of our spend. The items are accompanied by a date + price.

Justinnn_1-1676912697279.png

Table 3: Weights. The weights have a weight [value], an Item and an Identifier.

Justinnn_2-1676912705456.png

Solution:
What I want is that, if I select an an identifier (say identifier = 1), that the filtered weights [Table 3, where Identifier =1] are multiplied by Table 1. Hence, 30% * 60, 30% * 63, 40% * 64. I've tried many different routes, including an inner join summation or a dynamic column based on a VAR, but they don't work. The final goal would be to link the weights again to an index, (which you can also find in the file), but I think I can manage the last part myself. Your help would be very much appreciated!

Link: Weighted Average of Indices.pbix

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Justinnn , add a new column in table 2 using Table 2

New values = Table2[price] * maxx(filter(Table3, Table3[Item] = Table2[Item]) , Table3[Value])

refer 4 ways (related, relatedtable, lookupvalue, sumx/minx/maxx with filter) to copy data from one table to another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1mWxR23jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNHt7UXIe8

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.