Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

elidman
Frequent Visitor

Unrelated measure (parameter) causes full expand of dimension members - how to solve?

Hi all,

I have a more complicated scenario that I have recreated using the simplified example below.

Setup:

• One dimension table with 4 colors (table 1 below)
  • One fact table, only containing a values for Red (R) 10 and Yellow (Y) 10 (table 2 below)
  • The above two tables have a relationship on ColorKey
  • A totally separate 'measure table' with one single measure, and only one row, containing a fixed "variable" Pi = 3.145. This is a calculated measure (table 3 below)
  • I can not use Calculated Columns, because in reallity the Pi will depend on the user running the report

PBIProblem.png

The problem

• In a table, when showing only data from DimColor and FactColor Value, I get the members Red and Yellow that have data (table 4 above). Perfect - works great.
  • But - when I add the fixed parameter Pi from the table without any kind of relationship - it expands all colors from the Dimension-table (table 5 above)

I would like to get the result of table 4 above, i.e. 2 records, but also with the Pi colum.

Is that possible?

My guess is that some kind of cross-join or auto-exists causes this behavior.

Is there any way to solve this? Something like measure Pi = Calculate(MAX (3.1415), ...TREATASFIXEDVALUE)... or similar?

Any input would be appricated

/Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If there are no relationships, PBI creates a cross join between the attributes. You can counteract this by creating a measure that will return non-blank for the rows you want to see and blank otherwise. Then you just filter the visual by that measure (using Filter Pane). The condition should be "is not blank."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If there are no relationships, PBI creates a cross join between the attributes. You can counteract this by creating a measure that will return non-blank for the rows you want to see and blank otherwise. Then you just filter the visual by that measure (using Filter Pane). The condition should be "is not blank."

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors