Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pawlowski6132
Helper IV
Helper IV

TimeBetween function or similar?

So, I'm familiar with the DatesBetween function. I need similar results but, using Time.

For example, we have a use case wherein we have hours worked data for each hour of the day:

Start 2:00 PM..... 23 hours (multiple people working)

3:00 PM.....22 hours

4:00 PM.....24 hours

5:00 PM.....21 hours

6:00 PM.....20 hours

7:00 PM.....24 hours

8:00 PM.....22 hours

We have periodic "check-ins" where we want to know how many hours were worked in prior to that check in:

4:00 PM Check in = 45 hours worked in the last two hours from 2:00 PM to 4:00PM (23 + 22)

7:00 PM Check in = 65 hours worked in the last three hours from 4:00PM to 7:00PM (24+21+20)

etc.

I understand there isn't a TimeBetween function but, am stumped on how to even approach this.

Thanx in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
pawlowski6132
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on how this concept can calculate sum of hours between two time periods (regardless of date, we are always only looking at today).

thank you again

Hi @pawlowski6132 

The expression in the filter context is checking for each row all the dates which are less than or equal to the time in the current context. Say we are at 4pm right now - so the filter will check the time in the first row time (2pm) and compare it with 4 pm as it is less then it will take this. then it will move to the second row and compare the time and keep on adding the values...

Side note - If you have both am as well as pm values then I would suggest using 24 hr time period instead of 12 hr for easier calculation.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Radhika 

Radhika2605
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @pawlowski6132 ,

I think you can utilize the cumulative total concept. 

Total Hours = Sum( [Hours] ) 

Calculate([Total Hours],
Filter( 'Table', Table[Time] < Max( Table[Time] ) ) )

So this will give you a total of how many hours are worked. You can also add a filter for the day like - 

Calculate([Total Hours],
Filter( 'Table', Table[Time] < Max( Table[Time] ) ,
Filter ('Table', [Date] = Max([Date]) ) ) )

Hope this helps. 

Thanks

Radhika

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.