Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jhenderson525
Frequent Visitor

Text analysis w/ out of the box tools within Power BI?

Disclaimer: I am a true novice to Power BI and I have searched far and wide not only in this forum but others as well and have not found an answer to the issue (that I can comprehend). Also,  I'mm not sure if this post even belongs in this subforum. So my apologies, if i am posting in the worng location. 

Issue: I need to categorize issues in Table 1 based on the presence of a three strings -  Table 2[Keyword1], Table 2[Keyword2], and Table 2[Keyowrd3]. Table1[Description] column is where the search takes place.

I am currently conducting this in excel w/ the formula below (input into the Table 1[Issue Category cells) but I am looking for a solution within Power BI.

=IFERROR(INDEX(SymptomCode,MATCH(1,(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Keywords_issue1,C2))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Keywords_issue2,C2))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Keywords_issue3,C2))),0)),"*Issue Classification Not Found*")

Table 1

A

B

C

Issue Number

Description

Issue Category (from Symptom Code value in Table 2)

JH-001

Conduits installed 2” south of indicated location on drawings

Conduit – Wrong Location

JH-002

Existing conduit damaged during demo

Conduit - Damaged

JH-003

Embedded conduit was not placed before slab pour

Conduit – Not Installed

JH-004

Concrete forms were prematurely removed

Issue Classification Not Found

Table 2

Symptom Code

Keyword1

Keyword2

Keyword3

Conduit - Damaged

damage

conduit

conduit

Conduit - Damaged

break

conduit

conduit

Conduit - Damaged

broke

conduit

conduit

Conduit – Not Installed

conduit

not

install

Conduit – Not Installed

conduit

not

place

Conduit – Wrong Location

conduit

locat

locat

My examples of the tables are obviously hyphenated. There are currently over 1,000 entries in Table 1 and around 300 entries in Table 2 that categorize the Table 1 issues.

I have seen the phrase, text analytics cognitive services, mentioned in forums. I’m not educated on that subject, and I do not know if that service would be applicable in a case like this. We currently do not have this service available to us, so I have to proceed and use the limited resources that are available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jhenderson525 - I know nothing about text analysis in PBI, but the FIND() function in DAX works very similar to INDEX() in Excel. You should start there.

https://dax.guide/find/ 

Hope this helps

David

David-

Thank you for responding. I will give this a try and report back.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors