Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicing by filtered visuals ignoring certain filters

Apparently I cannot add a pbix file here. I you want it contact me with your email address. See attached image and questions below

slicing by filtered visuals ignoring certain filters.jpg.

question 1

If I click (crossfilter) one of the values in the stacked bar chart you now only see values for year 2019 in the line chart because currentyear is filtered in the stacked bar chart.

I want the stacked bar chart to act as a slicer over the line chart ignoring the currentyear filter

question 2

See donut chart. This contains 2 dax measures resulting in the same numbers as the stacked bar chart above it. Just as in the previous question I want to use the donut chart as a slicer over the line chart any year filter.

bonus question

there is quite a lot of white space in the stacked bar chart beween the title, the bars. and the X axis. even if you turn of the axis or the title this space stays. How to minimize this whitespace?

6 REPLIES 6
lc_finance
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

here is my solution to your questions:

1) If you want the stacked bar chart to act as a slicer ignoring the year filters, then you can:

- remove the filter currentyear = Y to the chart

- create a new measure: CALCULATE(SUM('My Table'[Value]), 'My Table'[currentyear] = "Y")

- use this measure for the stacked bar chart instead of Value

2) Do you have any filter on this chart? If yes, can you remove the filters. After that, it should act as a slicer ignoring the filters

bonus question) unfortunately, it's not possible to reduce the white spaces. However, you can set the background as transparent and make the chart bigger. This should have the same effect as reducing the white spaces.

Let me know if this helps you!

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lc_finance 
Thanks for your reply.

Removing filters is not an option because then the visuals will not represent what they are meant to, unless I make new DAX measures ofcourse.

Your suggested formula in 1) does not seem to work.

The second question / donut chart does not have filters and does not filter the way I want, so your solution doesn't seem applicable.

I you are interested in the pbix file please pm me with your mail address.

Hi @Anonymous ,

yes, my suggestion was to make new DAX measures.

You can include a link to the Power BI using a tool such as One Drive, Google Drive or other similar tools.

If you want to contact me directly, you can send me a direct message here in the Power BI community, or email me at lc@finance-bi.com

Regards

LC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks LC, I sent you a private mail.

For other people who want the bpix: https://we.tl/t-UZykB2GYV7

Apparently the WeTransfer link will be deleted after a week so if you need it let me know.

HI @Anonymous ,

here is a modified file to answer your 2 questions.

The solution is to create a new measure that filters the current year. When a filter is added by a measure (instead of a filter on the chart), it does not propagate to other charts. So other charts will not be filtered based on the year.

Does this help you? If it doesn't help you, let me know. 

LC

Interested in Power BI and DAX templates? Check out my blog at www.finance-bi.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lc_finance  works perfect thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors