Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Saiz
Frequent Visitor

Percentile of a table stored in a variable

Hi all,

I would like to detect outliers in my daily data report by using the percentile function.

I have a detail table (table 1) and I want to calculate the percentile of the second table which shows the tickets per day.

Saiz_2-1655305933913.png

If I create a fixed calculated table I have to add "ALL / AllExcept" function inside Percentile function:

Percentile = PERCENTILEX.EXC (ALL(TicketsByDate), TicketsByDate[Count_Tickets],   .90 )

I need to apply external filters and I don't want to rely on the All/AllExcept function.

For this reason, I want to store my calculated table in a variable. The problem is that I can't calculate the percentile of this calculated table in a variable.

Saiz_1-1655305710499.png

I get the following error: "If k is not a multiple of 1/(n + 1), PERCENTILEX.EXC will interpolate to determine the value at the k-th percentile."

Can someone help me? Thanks!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saiz
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I've found the solution to my problem. In the first parameter of the percentile function you need to include a calculated table and use the SelectedAll function.

This is the metric that calculates the outliers:

Outlier = 

VAR Percentile =  CALCULATE(PERCENTILEX.INC (
            SUMMARIZE (
                ALLSELECTED(Tickets),
                Tickets[Date],
                "Count", DISTINCTCOUNT(Tickets[TicketId])
            ),
            [Count],
        ), ALLSELECTED())

RETURN CALCULATE( 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure], 
                    FILTER(
                        SUMMARIZE (
                                Tickets ,
                                Tickets[Date],
                            ), 
                        [Count]>Percentile
                    )
                )

And this is the complementary metric that calculates the green values in the column chart:

StandardValues = IF( 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure] = 'Calculations'[OutlierTable], BLANK(), 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure])

Thank you for your help!

I hope someone will find it useful 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Saiz
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I've found the solution to my problem. In the first parameter of the percentile function you need to include a calculated table and use the SelectedAll function.

This is the metric that calculates the outliers:

Outlier = 

VAR Percentile =  CALCULATE(PERCENTILEX.INC (
            SUMMARIZE (
                ALLSELECTED(Tickets),
                Tickets[Date],
            ),
            [Count],
        ), ALLSELECTED())

RETURN CALCULATE( 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure], 
                    FILTER(
                        SUMMARIZE (
                                Tickets ,
                                Tickets[Date],
                            ), 
                        [Count]>Percentile
                    )
                )

And this is the complementary metric that calculates the green values in the column chart:

StandardValues = IF( 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure] = 'Calculations'[OutlierTable], BLANK(), 'Calculations'[CountTickets_Measure])

Thank you for your help!

I hope someone will find it useful 🙂

Saiz
Frequent Visitor

By the way, I've also tried the percentile function with a measure but it doesn't work either. I get the same error.
If anyone can think of another solution... I need help 😕

Thanks!!

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Saiz 

You can try the following methods.

Table 2 =
SUMMARIZE (
    'Table 1',
    'Table 1'[Date],
    "Count Ticket", COUNT ( 'Table 1'[ID Ticket] )
)

vzhangti_0-1655714933705.png

Measure = CALCULATE(PERCENTILEX.EXC('Table 2',[Count Ticket],0.8),ALL('Table 2'))

vzhangti_2-1655715099041.png

In your case, k can be 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti !

First of all, thank you for your help.

The solution you propose allows me to calculate the percentile on the tickets total count. In this picture you can see that the data in both tables match (table 2 calculated as you told me).

Saiz_0-1655718148621.png

The problem is that filters in table 2 don't work. In this image you can see that the filter "IsCloud" applies only for data in table 1.

Saiz_1-1655718212983.png

To solve that problem I guess I would have to add the dimensions I want to filter by to my table 2. There are too many dimensions I want to filter by, so I would like to avoid creating table 2 as fixed (its cardinality would be too large).

So, my idea is a temporary table stored in a variable where the filters apply correctly. I have tested this solution to get the total count (sum) of the tickets and it works --> The sum of tickets in table 1 and the sum of the table stored in a variable return the same value (with filters it also matches)

Saiz_4-1655718959278.png

My problem is that it doesn't work for percentiles (I get the error: "If k is not a multiple of 1/(n + 1), PERCENTILEX.EXC will interpolate to determine the value at the k-th percentile.").

Saiz_3-1655718795607.png

Please, if you have any idea how to do these calculations and make the filters work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Saiz 

Can you provide simple pbix files? There is so little information available that it is unclear what data the IsCloud slicer is filtering. What kind of output do you expect when you select True for IsCloud? What kind of output do you expect when you select False?

Best Regards

Hi, @v-zhangti 

First of all, thank you for your help.

My goal is to visualise in a column chart those days whose number of tickets represents an outlier (example 2).

Saiz_0-1655907366776.png

Example 1 shows a column chart with the number of tickets per day. It uses a measure that performs a CountDistinct of the TicketId.

Example 2 shows a column chart where red represents outliers and green represents normal values. It uses two complementary metrics. The important metric "Outliers-Values" uses the percentile function. Days whose ticket counts are above the percentile are considered outliers (red).

My problem is I can't visualise correctly the data of example 2 when I apply filters.

Looking at the following image with the slicer “IsCloud=False”, I would like to see in example 2 the same values as the column chart in example 1 and represent in red the column with 9 tickets.

Saiz_1-1655907512234.png

I  attach a pbix  with a simple dataset. The "Tickets" table presents the detail of the tickets I want to analyse and is connected to its dimension tables.

The table "Tickets_By_Date" is a summarize per date of the number of tickets in the "Tickets" table.

Saiz_2-1655907904710.png

I hope I’ve been able to explain better my goal and the problem I have.

Any help is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks to all of you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors