Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benji1908
Frequent Visitor

How much time of an hour is used

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been queried before, and also for the poor subject description, I'm not really sure how to word it. 

I am trying to chart data to show the down time of a machine. The information is a live link, but it is fed differently to the hourly production numbers data that comes through. I get a start and end time to the machine being down (in Epoch time but I've got the translator in place). 

The issue is I get the production numbers as a number made per hour. What I want to do is show the downtime as a number of minutes per hour in a parallel chart. While I can get the number of minutes the machine is down from the epoch time, as well as when it was, I can't figure out a way of spreading it out and charting it on the hourly graph.

So for example, if the machine was down from 00:30 to 02:15 for a total of 105 minutes, I want the graph to show 30 minutes in 00:00, 60 minutes in 01:00 then 15 minutes in 02:15. It also needs to be dynamic and calculate the live data as its fed in. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @benji1908 
One aproach is by using a date table. As long as you are working no less that hourly level then it should be fine otherwise the time table would be huge. Please refer to attached sample file and screenshots

1.png2.png

DownTime = 
VAR StartTime = MAX ( 'Time'[DateTime] )
VAR EndTime = StartTime + 1/24
RETURN
    SUMX ( 
        SUMMARIZE ( 'Table', 'Table'[MachNo] ), -- you may need to add DownNo when dealing with the real data
        VAR CurrenTable = CALCULATETABLE ( 'Table' )
        VAR FilteredTable = 
            FILTER ( 
                CurrenTable, 
                'Table'[Epoch Start] <= EndTime && 'Table'[Epoch End] >= StartTime
            )
        RETURN
            SUMX (
                FilteredTable,
                DATEDIFF ( 
                    MAX ( 'Table'[Epoch Start], StartTime ),
                    MIN ( 'Table'[Epoch End], EndTime ),
                    MINUTE
                )
            )
    )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @benji1908 
One aproach is by using a date table. As long as you are working no less that hourly level then it should be fine otherwise the time table would be huge. Please refer to attached sample file and screenshots

1.png2.png

DownTime = 
VAR StartTime = MAX ( 'Time'[DateTime] )
VAR EndTime = StartTime + 1/24
RETURN
    SUMX ( 
        SUMMARIZE ( 'Table', 'Table'[MachNo] ), -- you may need to add DownNo when dealing with the real data
        VAR CurrenTable = CALCULATETABLE ( 'Table' )
        VAR FilteredTable = 
            FILTER ( 
                CurrenTable, 
                'Table'[Epoch Start] <= EndTime && 'Table'[Epoch End] >= StartTime
            )
        RETURN
            SUMX (
                FilteredTable,
                DATEDIFF ( 
                    MAX ( 'Table'[Epoch Start], StartTime ),
                    MIN ( 'Table'[Epoch End], EndTime ),
                    MINUTE
                )
            )
    )
andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

Hi Ben,

no worry. Everybody had a start some years,weeks or days ago with Power BI 🙂

If you have only the down time, it is no problem. Can you upload your sample data via the internal table function of the forum or can you upload a PBI File which the sample data? Than I show you how to create the table and visual. You need a "bridge" table to get for every day, hour your correct machine state.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

andhiii079845
Super User
Super User

I visualize some years ago also machine states, nice topic :).

I used a dimtable with timedate in 15 min slots.  Than I calculated the state of the maschine during this time from the machine data tables. 

DatetimemachinestatedurationMinute
23.03.2023 00:00:00running15 
23.03.2023 00:15:00error10
23.03.2023 00:15:00running5

Than I can bring the datime to the x axis, duration to the y axsis and machine state as a legend. 

andhiii079845_0-1678957311776.png

A second column you can but the production volumn in this time.

andhiii079845_1-1678957498321.png

Did it help? Perhaps you can show some example data for the machine data (wihtout sensitive data).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi, thanks for your response.

So the data looks like this: 

benji1908_0-1678959177093.png

The data is fairly simplistic but feeds in differently to the production numbers. Machine number and downtime reason get referenced on another table to translate the proper data. 

There is no live feed for machine running times, only when it's down. As I said it's in Epoch but I translated that, and can get it to align to an hourly chart but I only have start and end times as a reference. So if the machine went down for 2 hours, I could put it in based on it's start time, but then it would show that hour as having 120 minutes downtime for that hour.

I need it to spread and fill the hours up, then spill over to the next. So if I have downtime starting at 00:45 and ending at 01:10, I need it to tell me 15 minutes in the first hour, then cut it off and know that the remaining 10 minutes belong in the second hour. 

Then I want to be able to chart it, like I have with the scrap below the production:

benji1908_1-1678960196527.png

I'm very much an amatuer at Power BI and only know the basics so I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious here. 

Thanks

Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors