Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

codestule
Helper II
Helper II

Find Next Most Recent Date Dynamically

Hi,

I'm struggling to find a solution in the forum for what I'm trying to accomplish, with that being said thank you and I appreciate any/all help to the resolution to (or guidance to a similar situation that may help resolve) my issue.

I have a table similar to below

PJB_IDCreated_ByCreated_Date
1111john_1@apple.com1/13/22
1112john_1@apple.com2/21/22
1113john_1@apple.com3/17/22
1114mary_w@apple.com2/5/22
1115bill_9@apple.com1/29/22
1116john_1@apple.com4/5/22
1117bill_9@apple.com2/22/22
1118mary_w@apple.com3/24/22

The first thing I want to do is have a visual (table) that displays the most current PJB_ID the individual created something like this:

PJB_IDCreated_ByCreated_Date (most recent)
1117bill_9@apple.com2/22/22
1116john_1@apple.com4/5/22
1118mary_w@apple.com3/24/22

Then if I have a date slicer and someone selects a date that is prior to the (most recent) created date, it will display the next most recent.  So the table then would look like this if 2/1/22 was selected from the slicer:

PJB_IDCreated_ByCreated_Date
1115bill_9@apple.com1/29/22
1111john_1@apple.com1/13/22
nullmary_w@apple.comnull

I've tried to use the max, last date, and a few other functions but can't seem to get it to work the way I want.  I apologize if this type of issue has been resolved already and if it has and someone can shoot me a link to the post, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for giving this a look and helping.

Regards,

Cody

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Cody:

Here is link to file with date table added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pVFYYs3-FHmOVLICwHWj3jvjYtKT1ohM/view?usp=sharing 

Measure =
var _lastDate=MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Created_Date]=MAX('Table'[Created_Date])),[Created_Date])
return CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Created_Date]),FILTER('Table',[created_Date]=_lastDate))

Whitewater100_0-1653400163397.png

You will want to use "Measure. I hope this works for you!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Whitewater100
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Cody:

Here is link to file with date table added.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pVFYYs3-FHmOVLICwHWj3jvjYtKT1ohM/view?usp=sharing 

Measure =
var _lastDate=MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Created_Date]=MAX('Table'[Created_Date])),[Created_Date])
return CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Created_Date]),FILTER('Table',[created_Date]=_lastDate))

Whitewater100_0-1653400163397.png

You will want to use "Measure. I hope this works for you!

Hello:

Yes you can a drop down or list slicer. Since it's on individual date you may be better off with between slicer, otherwise there is a lot to click.  Can you please mark my answer as solution too? Thank you..

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what I may be doing wrong but as soon as I change the slicer from a "between" style to a "list" or "drop down" the calculated measure doesn't seem to display when I select a date.  Any thoughts on what I might be missing/doing wrong?

Hi:

If you do the other styles of slicers and pick a date with no data, no measure can appear. For what I've seen so far, the BETWEEN slicer will work best. The formula is based on date, so using date field is really important and since we are asking for DAX to review all dates to pick the last one, between slicer makes sense. I hope this helps..

Hello,

I follow what you say, and that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks again for all of the input/guidance.

Regards,

Cody

Whitewater100,

Thanks for a quick response.  So as I look at the file and mess around with it, it appears to do just what I need it to if I utilize the "between" style slicer.  Is it possible to do the same thing with a "drop down" or "list" style slicer?  I guess what I'm looking for is if it is possible to select a date rather than a range.  If not, I can definitely make this one work for what I'm trying to accomplish.  Thanks again for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.