Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

metcala
Helper III
Helper III

Filtering by the most recent date across 2 tables

Hi

I've spent a bit of time looking through the forum to try and find a solution that helps solve my problem to no avail!

Essentially I have a Role table:

Role ID

And I want to be able to add the current employee or vacancy.

Staff IDRole IDStart DateEnd Date

Vacancy IDRole IDStart DateEnd Date

My current thinking is to add a column onto the Role table looking up the last entry from each table. A slight complication is that some roles are pre filled in the future so would have to be up to the current date.

I've spent a while trying to get this working and any guidance as to whether this is a sensible approach or where/how to solve it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @metcala 

Please try formula like:

Vacancy ID = 
VAR _MAXDATE=CALCULATE(MAX('Table 2'[Start Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table 2','Table 2'[Role ID]))
RETURN  CALCULATE(MAX('Table 2'[Vacancy ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table 2'),'Table 2'[Start Date]=_MAXDATE&&'Table 2'[Role ID]=MAX('Role table'[Role ID])))
Staff ID = 
VAR _MAXDATE=CALCULATE(MAX('Table 1'[Start Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table 1','Table 1'[Role ID]))
RETURN  CALCULATE(MAX('Table 1'[Staff ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table 1'),'Table 1'[Start Date]=_MAXDATE&&'Table 1'[Role ID]=MAX('Role table'[Role ID])))

If it doesn‘t work, please share a sample file and expected outcome in excel for further research.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
metcala
Helper III
Helper III

@daXtreme @amitchandak 

Thanks for your replies and apologies if my explanation wasn't clear!

I am looking to add a column showing either the current Staff ID or Vacancy ID. So for the example below Role 101 should show V002.

Staff IDRole IDStart DateEnd Date
S0011011/8/202031/10/2022

Vacancy IDRole IDStart DateEnd Date
V0011011/1/202031/7/2020
V0021011/11/2022 

Hi, @metcala 

Please try formula like:

Vacancy ID = 
VAR _MAXDATE=CALCULATE(MAX('Table 2'[Start Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table 2','Table 2'[Role ID]))
RETURN  CALCULATE(MAX('Table 2'[Vacancy ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table 2'),'Table 2'[Start Date]=_MAXDATE&&'Table 2'[Role ID]=MAX('Role table'[Role ID])))
Staff ID = 
VAR _MAXDATE=CALCULATE(MAX('Table 1'[Start Date]),ALLEXCEPT('Table 1','Table 1'[Role ID]))
RETURN  CALCULATE(MAX('Table 1'[Staff ID]),FILTER(ALL('Table 1'),'Table 1'[Start Date]=_MAXDATE&&'Table 1'[Role ID]=MAX('Role table'[Role ID])))

If it doesn‘t work, please share a sample file and expected outcome in excel for further research.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sorry, but this explanation is unclear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors