Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

FIRST DATE (order date) for each customer, Ignoring Month Filter Context

Hi Community,

I am looking for some help on how to ignore a month when I add it to my table.

The intent of this table is to show if the customer did not order during baseline dates (example 8/1/22 thru 7/31/23), but has now ordered more than a qty of 2 after baseline dates then  SUM sales.  If they did order during baseline dates, then do not count sales.

Here are my dax formulas:

New Distribution Qty 

New Distribution Qty = IF([Total Qty Baseline]=0 && [Total Qty New Distribution] > 2, [Total Qty New Distribution],0)

Gaps Closed:

Gaps Closed = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('VALUE ENTRY', CUSTOMER[Territory Code],CUSTOMER[Customer Code],'ITEM'[Item No]), IF([Total Qty Baseline] =0 && [Total Qty New Distribution] > 2 , 1 ,0)+0)

Here is what the correct table would show:

table 2.png

But then when I go to add in the month column - the current dax formula will include each month of orders if baseline quantity was 0.  I am looking for the formula to count only the first sale order and ignore all of the future orders.

Here is what the table shows:

I will know the formula is working when Customer A shows only the sales order in August. 

September and October's sales orders would show as zero, since it was not the very first sale.

table.png

Really hoping someone can help me here :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks so much,

Christina

1 REPLY 1
scee07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, 

this is my guess how to do this. I will do a minimal toy example to explain my approach. Perhaps it helps. 
If you abstract from the specific problem you have a table visual and you have to replace the filter context for the date to calculate the same type of value but with a different filter context. In my example I will just do a business rule that says look at the measure ninety days earlier and if this is greater than zero than return 0 otherwise the value of the measure. The naive measure is the simplest you can imagine:

TestMeasureNaive =
SUM ( FactOnlineSales[SalesQuantity] )
MonthID = 
FORMAT(DimDate[Datekey], "yyyy-MM")

The table is from the contoso model, just to give me some data.  The Date Table gets a proper sortable month string. 
So, our stupid measure picks up the customer key and month filter context:

scee07_0-1699969184434.png

This is not what we want. Let's define an alternative measure that incorporates some business rule when to take this simple value or something else. 

TestMeasure =
VAR minDateInPeriod =
    MIN ( DimDate[Datekey] )
VAR referenceDate = minDateInPeriod - 30 // or whatever the lookback is
VAR monthString =
    CALCULATE (
        FIRSTNONBLANK ( DimDate[MonthID], 0 ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( DimDate ), DimDate[Datekey] = referenceDate )
    )
VAR referenceValue =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( FactOnlineSales[SalesQuantity] ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( DimDate ), DimDate[MonthID] = monthString )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( referenceValue > 0, 0, SUM ( FactOnlineSales[SalesQuantity] ) )

Now, the measure will still pick up the customer filter, but dependant on some arbitrary business rule it will take a different reference month, calculate the same type of value and if this value is greater than zero then the later month's value is set to zero. 

scee07_1-1699969577889.png

This obviously just a nonsense example to show the mechanism. A general pattern might be:

- define your naive measure with no filters applied in the measure
- calculate the change for all filters that are supposed , keep all filters that will not change

- calculate the value with the new filter context 

- apply whatever business rule taking into account the recalculated value

As I said, just a guess that this is the core of the problem. 

Best regards 

Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.