Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LiaR
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically update calculated column values with slicer

Hello everyone, I've got the problem with setting up slicer and modifying calculated column 

What am I trying to achieve -  

Modify the line chart with slicer's value. 

How values for the chart are calculated currently - 

Result =if(B = "Name", (Val1-Val2)/(Conval 1 * (conval2 – conval3 * X)) / 10, 1) 

Where: 

Val 1 and Val 2 – calculated columns 

Conval 1: 3 – Measures with 1 value 

X - to be variable, currently it is constant value 

Example in excel (marked the variable with yellow) 

LiaR_0-1611316150974.png

I have checked this post already, but it does not work for me - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Slicer-Value-in-Column-Formula/td-p/214892 

Any ideas? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LiaR
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have solved the issue with the following steps:

(refers to the example formula mentioned in the original post)

1. I have calculated the difference between Val1 and Val2 as seperate column in table;

2. Used 'Values()' to convert it into measurement

3. Corrected original formula to use: Calculate (Divide (), type in {value}*) and created new measure

4. It worked. This was done for each type, and all measures were added to chart separetly.

Although it has some limitations towards visualization, by the end of the day it works. Hopefully it might help someone 🙂 

* used for filtering through types

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LiaR
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have solved the issue with the following steps:

(refers to the example formula mentioned in the original post)

1. I have calculated the difference between Val1 and Val2 as seperate column in table;

2. Used 'Values()' to convert it into measurement

3. Corrected original formula to use: Calculate (Divide (), type in {value}*) and created new measure

4. It worked. This was done for each type, and all measures were added to chart separetly.

Although it has some limitations towards visualization, by the end of the day it works. Hopefully it might help someone 🙂 

* used for filtering through types

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @LiaR , calculated columns are static and never response to any change of slicer or any other viz.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

LiaR
Frequent Visitor

Is there any way to make measure instead of calculated column to have the same outcome? so i would have a list of values within the measure?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors