Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamically recalculate a column when filters and slicers applied

Hello,

I have a table that contains data on product, sales amount and date when a certain product has been purchased in such amount. Also filters are applied to this table: date slicer and product filter.

I need to calculate a column that will have an average value of all sales for a selected product and ONLY for the dates range that has been specified with a date slicer. So basically, the calculated column should contain the same value  for every row(sales average for a chosen product and time period - specified by date slicer)  

I am trying to calculate this column by using CALCULATE function

inside this function I am using function AVERAGE(Table[sales])

as another arguments to the CALCULATE function I am passing function ALLEXCEPT function where I specify columns for which filters are appled: product and dates.

Looks like I am doing something completely wrong as  the calculated value in that column is static and is not being re-calculated every time i apply date slicer

Please advice 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

you are not doing anything wrong. Calculated columns are only refreshed when the entire table/data model is refreshed. Which means calculated columns don't get refreshed or updated when a user uses slicers in a report.

If you need dynamic behaviour, you have to create measures.

Cheers,
Sturla

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors