Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tony393912

Dynamic Prior Period Month To Date

Hello everyone,

I have a very interesting problem when trying to calculate the prior period month-to-date figure. Normally, I would just use a time-intelligence formula but my company has a couple unique things that makes this a very challenging task (for me at least):

1) Fiscal year is from July 1 to June 30

2) Revenue is very depedent on day of the week. Let's say if we were to compare MTD from 7/1/2022 to 7/10/2022, then we would compare it the period from 7/2/2021 to 7/11/2021 so that the day of the week matches. 

The data structure is very simple. There's a fact table with sales figures linking to a date table.

I was able to figure out the formula to calculate prior year daily revenue by doing the following:

1) Added a column in my Date table with this formula: 

DWY = WEEKDAY('Date'[Date])*1000000+WEEKNUM('Date'[Date])*10000+YEAR('Date'[Date])

2) Then I created a measure using the following:

Prior Period Daily Revenue  = CALCULATE([Daily Revenue],FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[DWY] = MAX ('Date'[DWY])-1))

This actually works out nicely to calculate the prior period daily revenue.

Then, I attempted to do a Prior Period MTD by writing the following:

PY MTD Revenue =

VAR FirstPeriodLY = DATE ( YEAR( MAX('Date'[Date]))-1,1,1)
VAR LastPeriodPY = MAX ('Date'[Date])-1
RETURN
CALCULATE( [Daily Revenue],
DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],FirstPeriodLY,LastPeriodPY))

The formula doesn't work at all. I I just need to figure our how to set a variable so that it would give me the starting date and ending date but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Any help is much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tony393912 , same week day last year is 364 day behind

week Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-364,DAY))

Normal

Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]))

or

MTD =
var _max1 = if(isfiltered('Date'),MAX( 'Date'[Date]) , today())
var _max = date(year(_max1), month(_max1), day(_max)-364)
var _min1 = eomonth(_max,-1)+1 ,
var _min = date(year(_min1), month(_min1), day(_min1)-364)
return
CALCULATE([net] ,DATESBETWEEN('Date'[Date],_min,_max))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors