Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

oriabbhou1
Frequent Visitor

Divide count distinct column by non calculated column

Hi,

I'm doing a quick measure to divide 2 columns without doing any calculation on the denominator column.

So here's the scenario: The numerator column(lesson count) does a count of lessons and i have a criteria for each school. I entered the criteria(required lesson) by creating a table in powerbi and joining by school in the relationships tab. The issue is that when i try to divide lesson count(i did a count distinct on this column which is what i wanted) by required lesson, it forces me want to use some form of aggregation(sum, count, standard deviation, etc) to the required lesson column which is not want i want. I just want to divide lesson count/required lesson without the aggregation to the denominator. Is there a dax that does this perfectly? I've looked at some post but the answers i see is not working for me.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oriabbhou1 try the following 

% Completion = DIVIDE('Lessons(SQL Table)'[Count of Lesson],RELATED('Lesson Required Table'[Lesson Required]))

Karlos_0-1611499017412.png

Karlos_1-1611499026080.png

I've added a PBIX file to this one drive link that shows how I achieved it for you. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnIEh6WhI4Jog4ginCxsERXWt36plg?e=DX9UAm 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oriabbhou1 try the following 

% Completion = DIVIDE('Lessons(SQL Table)'[Count of Lesson],RELATED('Lesson Required Table'[Lesson Required]))

Karlos_0-1611499017412.png

Karlos_1-1611499026080.png

I've added a PBIX file to this one drive link that shows how I achieved it for you. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnIEh6WhI4Jog4ginCxsERXWt36plg?e=DX9UAm 

This worked Perfect. Thanks soo much @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @oriabbhou1 , 

Can you share a sample of the data you're working with and your desired results, please?

Karlos. 

iXpert_info
Helper II
Helper II

Hey @oriabbhou1 

I'd Suggest you to create a Calculated column for your solution

column=divide(table[LessonCount],table[RequiredLesson],0)

if you dont want to use above solution can you please share some sample data

Did I answer your question? If Yes, Please mark this as a solution

Best Regards
Jay Patel
iXpert Analytics

Hi @iXpert_info & @Anonymous ,

I tried creating a calulated column but the required lessons column from the lessons required table is not popping up as the denominator. 

Both columns are whole numbers so i dont see why it shouldnt work. I'm pretty much trying to accomplish the % completion colum in the sample data below.

Here's my sample data below:

nets question.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors